Page 1 of 3
Mazda 2.0L \  Broke down

Broke down

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2779
replies 23
following 7

reed_bryant   +1y
I think i might be screwed with this, but i have no idea what the problem could be. I was driving home from work today and i noticed a slight knocking noise and i was gunna look at it when i got home. well, i didnt make it home. All of a sudden i heard some things hit the road like small peices of metal and my truck shut off. Does ANYONE have an idea of what this could be ?? Really dont wanna get rid of the b..
Cusser   +1y
I think 1st order of business is to take a real good look at the engine top and bottom, check oil level, coolant level, look at the transmission, drive shaft, brakes, could be almost anything at this point.

Take and post photos of anything that looks suspicious. I wouldn't try to start up until I had at minimum checked fluids and the conditions stated above (and only if I found nothing suspicious). So be cautious, and careful.

If you have no idea after all that, get it towed to a shop for an initial evaluation.
dan woodland   +1y
As Cusser mentioned, a visual inspection is imperative. First you need to check for the obvious. Major oil leak, NO coolant, physical failure... If the engine bay and all around the underside of the truck looks dry and you don't see anything obvious on the outside of the engine and you are not a handy guy then I'd take it to a shop.

If you are a handy guy then you could try turning over the truck and see what you hear. If it sounds normal you could try starting it, if not take it to a shop.

After that you can tell us how it sounds/what is does when you try to start it.
reed_bryant   +1y
Well i figured out the problem. Im not really to smart when it comes to motors. My buddys dad came over and we took off the cover for the timing belt and the tensioner pulley broke. Bearings were everywhere. Thats what sounded like stuff hitting the road.
thread post photo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dan woodland   +1y
That sucks but good thing you found the problem. Might be time to replace everything under there now. I wouldn't take a chance on the belt not being damaged by all that stuff flying around in there. If old you might want to look at the water and oil pump too.
Cusser   +1y

Actually - I'd say you WERE pretty smart there !!! Smart enough to ask for an extra pair of eyes to help identify the issue. And look how much you learned (and taught others here) !!!

As Dan W. stated, there's a few things to attend to in there, but shouldn't be all that bad financially or technically, these are non-interference engines.
mymmeryloss   +1y
Wow you got lucky
befarrer   +1y
That small coolant hose that does a 180 looks pretty old and questionable also, and there are 2 more just like that which are hidden. I had one of the hidden ones split on my while driving down the highway, did not notice until I had no coolant, which warped my head and blew my head gasket
reed_bryant   +1y
Yea i ordered a kit earlier today with new pulley, belt, water pump, and a valve cover too because oil is leaking. And ill be sure to take a look at that coolant hose. Luckily this was only a $50 fix. Was bringing my truck to a local shop to get bagged this weekend but thats gunna have to wait a few weeks now due to the parts taking time to come in. Once i get the new parts ill be back on here and post some pics. And ill post some pics once its bagged too. Thanks for everyones input because i was clueless. Here are some pics of ole green because i know we all love pictures ://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/25/2d586a7aaec1d4c787bfbff07a009024. thats just what it would look like if it was boddied lol.
thread post photo
and my ole lady cleaning my even older lady ://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/25/e61002131d3fdfe54a11c5dc29157a1c.jpg yesterday on the trailer when we had to bring it home. 4 wheeler ramps were strong enough because this truck is so light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mymmeryloss   +1y
Ah ha. Its you! Haha. Get her fixed up right brotha! Nice lookin truck you have there!