threads
Page 2 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  Blown head gasket - Anyone have experience with Steel Seal?

Blown head gasket - Anyone have experience with Steel Seal?

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2253
replies 12
following 5

Cusser   +1y
Can you share what the shop quoted for a head gasket job, or how many flat rate hours they said it would be?

I've only had the head off during my rebuild, and I estimate that it would take me at least 6 to 8 hours. Others here have become real good at it.
gunderthewonder   +1y
I had quotes as high as $1,200 here in Scottsdale.

I found a mechanic from Black Canyon City on Craigslist... who has a three bay shop and works part-time on vehicles. I drove up yesterday to see his shop and had my truck towed up when I got back home.

He charges $35 an hour shop rate and quoted me $306 labor or $238 if I can wait and let him do it between other jobs. I went with the choice of letting him work it in with his other work. He quoted the gasket set at $130. If the head needs shaved the cost is $100.

I am going to have other work done at the same time and check out everything once he gets it apart.

The guy is a mechanic on the oil field in Alaska. Works two weeks on and two off. I met his son at the shop and liked him immediately.

I enjoy like working with people who are independent business owners... verses a high end repair shop. I will keep you posted on what we find out once we get into the engine.
gunderthewonder   +1y
Here is the latest. Took my truck to Jeff in Black Canyon City. Guess what? A small hose under the intake manifold was broken! Yahoo!

Not sure if this was after the Bar's treatment fixed the head gasket. Time will tell. I have ran it 50 plus miles each day for the past three days in the Arizona 100+ degrees and so far so good.