Page 1 of 3
Mazda 2.0L \  Weber Question

Weber Question

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 5065
replies 24
following 7

inlinesicks   +1y
Did any of you guys rejet your 32/36? I have one on my B2000 and it runs super rich. Plugs are black and I get a black cloud of smoke when I start it. Its also very hard to start when hot but starts very easily when cold. I adjusted the idle mix but I can turn the mixture screw all the way in and the engine still runs, is that the ways these carbs are or is mine defective? I was also thinking that it might be too much fuel pressure since I don't have a regulator on it but everything I've read says you don't need one.
Cusser   +1y
I don't use a fuel pressure regulator on my B2200 with Weber 32/36 DGEV, mechanical fuel pump. My plugs look good.

Mine has 52 and a 45 idle jets in it, don't know about the other jets, never opened it up.

Has yours always been this way? Your air cleaner isn't clogged and restricting air, is it? Your choke butterfly isn't staying in the "closed" (horizontal) position, is it?

Agree, sounds like yours is definitely running rich. I don't know if you need smaller idle jets or smaller main jets or larger air jets, maybe a real "carb guy" can help here.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
How does the carb re act to any adjustments on the idle screw itself?

Do you have the 1 or 2" filter i know some webers shipped with a low rise filter, this are very restrictive on any carb, but especially these lil 2 barrels.

wouldn't cause much of the running rich problem, but it would enhance a problem already there, did you block off all your vacums properly? are you running the small hose from your webers intake ( bottom ) to the top of your valve cover?

i had an issue of burning up oil or so i thought, but my plugs would be as you described, but i kept piddlin n tinkering, finally got to removing the hose from top of valve cover, put a 5$ small specter intake filter on it and capped off the white tube coming from th weber intake, no more fouled plugs or loss of oil woohoo.
inlinesicks   +1y
Ok I think I might have answered my own question. I went to the faq section of Webers website and this is what I read.

My Carburetor Is Running Rich And I Cannot Get A Fuel Mixture Screw Adjustment?
Check your fuel pressure. It should not exceed 3.5 psi. High altitudes will cause a carburetor to run rich. You should re-jet the carburetor with leaner jets.

After Shutting Off My Vehicle For 10 Or 15 Minutes, I Have A Hard Time Restarting-What Should I Do?
The fuel pressure needs to be checked. Also make sure that the float level is correctly set.

These are the problems that I am having so this leads me to believe my fuel pressure is too high, I replaced the fuel pump recently with an OE replacement from O'reillys, maybe it puts out more pressure than the original. I'll go tomorrow and get a fuel pressure regulator and see if that fixes it, I'll report back with the results.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Good luck and let us know how it works and how hard or easy it was to get it in, i may do this with mine ust cause i know i could control my rich/lean mixture more properly.
Cusser   +1y

xXChromeGhostXx - Just confirming: you're talking about putting the small intake filter on the hose from the valve cover that leads to the Weber air cleaner, correct?

And not the one on the valve cover that goes directly to the intake manifold? Thanks.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
i will get some pictures here in a moment to clarify sorry, But yes it's the one that's right behind the pcv valve, directly ontop of the valve cover leading into the bottom of your weber carb, a small plastic white hose in a 90 degree angle coming from the bottom plate of the webers air filter, i removed that hose and capped off the white hose from the air filter, and went to adbvance an bought a small specter air filter for 5-6 bucks, i just seated it over the hole the hose went into, took a little wiggling to get it on, the clamp wouldn't fit after that but i haven't had any issues so far with it being loose or hitting my hood at all. ( I'm sure they may have one that is the right size for the hole, but i just snatched one to see if this may been why i was loosing oil, and it seems as it was, not sure why that hose was there in the first place, it didn't affect my engines idle or driveability at all.
inlinesicks   +1y

The hose going from the Weber's air filter to the top of the valve cover is just to take clean air into the crankcase, then it gets sucked back out along with oil vapors through the pcv valve into the intake manifold.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Ah, well thanks for that info Inline I wasn't sure at all, but i do know that before doing this i would have a lot of oil residue in my filter and along top of my carb, never thought to much about it, but before doing the disconnect with the filter i'd be loosing up to a quart or quart and a half every 2 weeks, so far into week one with the disconnected hose and filter in place i'm not loosing any oil r having residue on my carb now. idk could just been a problem with my pcv valve i need to check but it seems to work fine? Any way to tell if they are messed up sorry i just usually replace them every so often as they are cheaper part.
inlinesicks   +1y
Well I put the fuel pressure regulator on and now the idle mixture screw actually does something. The idle is alot better now but its still hard to start when its warm. I did check the timing also and it was st correctly but it was jumping around a bit at idle indicating a stretched timing belt or loose tensioner. I took the distributor cap off and I was able to wiggle the rotor/shaft side to side a little, are yours like this too or do I have a problem with my distributor?