Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 11285
replies 25
following 8

kagroat   +1y
Hi, I have a 1986 Mazda B2000 with the 2.0
I just bought the truck off of a friend and am trying to get
it running ASAP for work.

So when I got the truck, it turned over but wouldn't fire.

I was getting 12 volts to the coil. New plug wires, cap, and rotor.
But I was not getting spark.

So after some research I just replaced the distributor and got the truck running!! So I changed the oil, put a new air filter in, and a new fuel filter as well.

I started the truck and was about to do the timing and it died,
and now its just turning over and not trying to fire again.

I didn't even have the truck running for a minute, I'm pretty disappointed.

Does anyone have any ideas what is making this happen? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
mazdafvr   +1y
u might have put the new fuel filter on backwards, and it just took that minute to burn what was left in the carb. try swaping the fuel lines on the filter. it may or may not have an affect being backwards, never tried, but seems to be the culprit if u fixed the spark issue and it only ran for a min with new filter. some of the filters have an arrow on the top, the arrow points in the direction of fuel flow, the fuel line from the tank plugs into the filter behind the arrow, and the line that runs to the carb is plugged in in front of the arrow, so the arrow points toward the line going to carb if that makes any sense. id give that a try. or completely bypass the filter to see if that's the problem. and give tha gas pedal a tap b4 cranking.
Cusser   +1y
Spray in some aerosol starting fluid into carb intake, mash down pedal, try to start. Do several times. If it runs, even for a few seconds doing that, then issue is likely fuel-related.

If it doesn't start at all doing that, then likely spark related.

The third leg of the engine running triangle is compression, but since it ran recently, not likely to be a broken timing belt.
kagroat   +1y
Yeah the fuel filter is correctly installed,
Im wondering if its the ignition switch, or if
Its the ignition control module? Im sure its not
A fuel related or compression related issue.
It ran nice..... frustrating!!
Cusser   +1y

You need to test, and eliminate fuel as the issue. If fuel is not the issue, you can (again) check for positive voltage at coil positive terminal with key switched to "run" position, and even run a positive jumper wire temporarily to the coil positive to help troubleshoot or rule out the ignition switch.
kagroat   +1y
Fuel is not the issue, I sprayed starting fluid and she still didn't try firing. The positive on the coil is getting 12v (as mentioned originally). Its odd how I put in a new distributor, got it running, and now it doesn't try to fire again (just like before replacing the distributor). I'm stumped I guess. Thanks for the help everyone.

So does anybody know which wires go to positive/negative on coil? Any diagrams or pictures?

Maybe this is my problem?
Where is the ICM?
mercilessltd   +1y

Check out the bottom post for checking the coil. Wiring may be right, just a bad coil. If this checks out, I can pull the wiring diagram for the coil.
kagroat   +1y
So i put A new distributor in it, it fired
right up, Ran beautifully for a minute,
and then Died on its own. Now, its right
back To not trying to fire, just turning
over Forever. It ran so good!! What could
This be, perhaps my options:
Ignition switch?
Ignition control module (where is this?)
Brain??

Anybody know whats wrong with it?
cab+rider   +1y
Make sure the battery has lots of cranking power and then start by checking for spark from the coil's high voltage wire to the distributor cap. Check by removing the wire from the center of the cap and crank the engine while observing for spark as you hold the wire to the engine block. Then if that's good restore wire back to the cap and check for spark to every spark plug wire position one at a time.
kagroat   +1y
How do you check all of these items with a multimeter??????????:

-Ignition Control Module (ICM)
-Pickup coil
-Ignitor
-ECU/PCM
-Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP sensor?)
-Camshaft Position Sensor??
-Condenser?

I need detailed explanations for each thing.
I need to do a process of elimination through testing,
however I do not know how to test all this stuff

Any answers help,
Im gonna figure this Pain in the @$$ out sooner or later with all your help

Thanks