Page 2 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  1987 Mazda b2000 need some help with cam seal

1987 Mazda b2000 need some help with cam seal

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 9805
replies 13
following 6

axel breaker earl   +1y
Yes, as Cusser and 87mazda have stated, don't put any silicone sealer on the cam plug at the rear of the head.

Silicone gasket sealer applied to a rubber, or rubber coated metal part, like the cam plug is made, will cause the plug to slide out of it's location when the rear cam cap bolts are tightened. The silicone makes the rubber slippery. I use the silicone on paper gaskets or metal to metal applications where you want a total seal between the two pieces, but I never use it on rubber unless it is a small dab where a paper gasket meets a rubber gasket........like on an intake manifold for a Chevy V8 or the like.

When installing the Mazda cam plug, I make sure the opening for it is clean and oil free, I install the rear cam cap after applying Ultra Grey RTV silicone on the areas designated in this diagram......

thread post photo

I make sure I don't get any of the silicone in the opening where the cam plug will install.

I don't tighten the 12mm bolts down on that rear cam cap until I place the clean, dry cam plug into the hole it is supposed to go into, then I tighten those two rear 12mm cam cap bolts while making sure the cam plug stays put as I'm tightening the two bolts.

Should look like this when it is installed properly.......

thread post photo

Sorry about not getting to you sooner.........since becoming a moderator over at Mazdatrucking.com, I have been spending all of my time at that site.......I'll try to start checking things over here a bit more!
cherokeed   +1y
Can you install cam cap while engine is in the truck. I know it's a tight fitting...I need to do a rear main seal anyway ..fresh rebuilt engine .that I forgot to install the rear main seal etc
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
It's a tight fit between the firewall and engine but Mazda designed the engine so you can replace the seal after you pull the parts necessary to get to it, i.e. the rear engine hoist, valve cover and loosen the valvetrain. The other thing you mentioned about replacing the main . . . you might want to replace the transmission input shaft seal at the same time you have the transmission pulled back from the engine to do the main.