Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  1987 Mazda b2000 need some help with cam seal

1987 Mazda b2000 need some help with cam seal

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 9777
replies 13
following 6

bmuma   +1y
As I know almost nothing about engines, I had someone help me install the new head on my 1987 mazda b2000, the person who supposedly knew a lot about japanese engines didn't notice that the rear cam seal and cap hadn't been installed when the company had re-manufactured it, so now I have to figure out how to put the seal and cap on without ripping the engine apart again to take the head off, any help anyone can give me about how best to go about this would be amazing and highly appreciated, thank you for your time.
mazdafvr   +1y
i hate to say this dude cause i get really pissed when this happens to me but u may have to take your head back off. heres a pic of the head bolts. u have to take the intake and valve cover off to get to them. the intake is easy tho. just them lil 10 mm bolts and 3 hoses. and just follow the bolts around the valve cover till it comes off. hope this helps if u gotta do it by urself.

thread post photo
mazdafvr   +1y
to correct my self on 3 hoses, there are 3 emission hoses obviously in the front of the intake and then theres 3 hoses that conect to the bottom of the intake. good luck
bmuma   +1y
Yeah I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, I know I can do the work myself, but last time I needed a specific gasket for the timing housing, only 1 company I can find makes it, and it took 2 1/2 weeks to get here last time, which makes this a bit more of an issue, but oh well that's what I get for trusting idiot's, anyways thank you for your time.
Cusser   +1y

If I understand correctly, I don't think the cylinder head needs to come off for this (I'm going by a B2200 engine).
bmuma   +1y
Well guess I should update this, we got the rocker arm assembly off, just going to have to jury rig a seal on it when we put it back on, now I just need to know what to put the seal on with, I know there is supposed to be a seal and cap on the back, just don't know how they are supposed to go on properly as the cap already popped out once on its own and it doesn't seem like the seal and cap will fit in the back of the head without massive amounts of silicone.

Alternate note:
Guess I'll also post a picture of the truck as a whole so you all can see what happens when people get bored with bedliner.
" target="_blank" target="_blank
87forever   +1y
The cam cap rear does NOT require sealant or a seal.It is installed as a plastic cap and cam metal retainers bolt right down on top.I know axel breaker earl can post pics of this and may share some more info if i am missing something.Ok
bmuma   +1y

So all I need is the cap and not a seal, and what cam metal retainer bolts are you talking about, is something supposed to bolt onto the back of the engine to hold the cap in?? And if axel breaker earl could post a pic that would be awesome, just trying to get the old girl running before tomorrow so I don't have to ride my motorcycle in the rain to work again this weekend.
Cusser   +1y

See, this photo shows the cam seal on the left at the bottom, and the rocker assembly/cap on the top ready to be bolted on.
thread post photo

Here on the far left are the two bolts that hold that "cap" to squeeze and hold that cam plug in place. There's nothing else that goes over this on the rear side of the cylinder head to hold it in.
thread post photo
bmuma   +1y

So seal then cap, then throw the rocker arm assembly back on and torque down to 13-20 ft/lbs.
Thank you for the pictures Cusser, and thank you to everyone who responded and tried to help me, hopefully this will be my last issue with this truck.