Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  Water Temp Gauge

Water Temp Gauge

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2783
replies 11
following 3

mercilessltd   +1y
My water temp gauge is not currently working. Considering that I am doing a head gasket, it would be wise for me to get this working again.

Originally, when I first got the truck, since the tach was the only properly working gauge, I was interested in getting the water temp working first.

If you look at the replacement sensors that auto parts stores have, they are a two-blade hookup. However, my truck only has one wire (green I believe).

NewbieT (thx a lot!) sent me the wiring diagram, and sure enough, it only shows one wire. Now, I have read that I can test the connection by grounding the wire and ensuring the gauge shoots to max temp. But if this does work, then I'm to assume the sensor is bad.

Where the heck do I get another one?
Cusser   +1y
I got a single terminal temperature sending unit in summer 2010 at O'Reillys (2-day, special order) for under $15.

I see at least two on this page at Rock Auto:

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1T1122

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TS74
mercilessltd   +1y
Awesome. Different question along the same lines.

If/when I do a Weber swap, I've read that the ECU can go bye bye. However, I'm curious about a few things, if they're reliant on the ECU?

1. Wipers
2. Gauges
2.1. Fuel Level (I doubt this is)
2.2. Tach
2.3. Water Temp
3. Cruise (doesn't work currently since speedo cable is snapped)
Cusser   +1y

I don't know much, I've done the Weber swap on my '88 B2200, but I left the ECU in place and plugged in, like "why not" ? Just the stuff that went to carb and similar things on the passenger fender are disconnected. So:

Wipers - maybe the intermittent feature won't work (anyone know) ?
Gauges - I've read that they still work
Fuel Level - I believe this still works
Tach - believe it would, but mine's aftermarket
Water Temp - believe this still works
Cruise - don't know, mine's aftermarket

So wait for someone else to respond !!!
mercilessltd   +1y
I ordered the AirTex. It came in yesterday. I'm hoping to have this thing back together within a week, but I'll let you guys know how well it works.
mercilessltd   +1y
Okay, two weeks. But it works! Thanks a million, Cusser! Now, I can prevent another head gasket.

Turns out, I didn't realize, the two blade connector screws into the intake directly behind the 2nd intake. I'm guessing it's used for the ECM.
mercilessltd   +1y
Oh, and in answers to my second question, I believe all of 1 and 2 will work (wipers and gauges) without the ECM, but I haven't checked on cruise.
dan woodland   +1y
Merciless... Everything can go from the passenger side wiring harness except the black ground(s) and the blue wires (3?) that go to the wiper motor.

I did the weber 32/36 swap last winter. I'll take a photo later and post it for you. I can't speak to the cruise control but I'd guess it's not in that harness.

Dan
mercilessltd   +1y
Sweet. I'm looking at swapping at the end of March (budget reasons). I'm trying to make this a gas saver and I've found cruise typically saves me gas versus me trying to watch my consumption; however, losing cruise vs the gain of the Weber is worth it in my opinion.
dan woodland   +1y
Here are the wires from the inside... There are four blue wires and I kept two black ground wires for future use... I suspect the cruise is controlled by a separate module not the ECU.

thread post photo

thread post photo

I taped them off initially and now that the dash is out I'll tidy those up and solder the wires I cut when I removed the Carb and emissions computer.

Hope that helps.

Dan