Page 1 of 2
Mazda 2.0L \  84 starts, runs, then dies

84 starts, runs, then dies

Mazda 2.0L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3969
replies 15
following 6

crazymikey   +1y
I got my 84 parts truck running yesterday...or so it seems. I can get the truck started and it begins to run for a few seconds. Usually I can get it running for up to 15 seconds before the engine just dies on me even if I've got my foot to the floor and the choke open.

Any ideas what is causing the engine to cut out like that?
immortal1 (linn)   +1y
Well Mikey, probably 1 of 2 things given the age of you truck. I am assuming there is enough compression to make the engine run to some degree so I am ruling that out as a possibility.

1. Loosing spark at the proper time. This can be checked pretty easy if you have access to a timing light. Connect it to the big wire going from the coil to the distributor. The light will flash each time the coil fires. If the light stops flashing just as the engine dies then it is an electrical issue. If the light keeps flashing as the engine dies, then it is a fuel problem.

2. Improper fuel ration to keep engine running (i.e. too much or too little). Start the engine then as soon as it dies, remove the air cleaner, open the choke plate (if it's closed) and look into the carb. Is the inside wet? When you move the throttle is there a small stream of gas being shot into the carb? If not it is very likely the fuel pump is not keeping up with the needs of the engine. If so then most likely the carb has some major issues preventing the engine from running.

Hope this helps.
suicide   +1y
plugged fuel filter, clean out the jets on the carb, make sure fuel pump is working. clean the carb
slammed83mazda   +1y
Can you hear the actual fuel pump kick on when you turn the key over?
toddluck   +1y
clean the filter in the carb
then check to make sure elect fuel pump is working properly
crazymikey   +1y
From what you guys have said it sounds like a fuel problem. I'll look into that when I go work on it again. It seems like once I pour gas in the carb and the gas has been drained out of the bowl, then it dies, even though there is gas in the tank.
immortal1 (linn)   +1y
From what you just said Mike, it most likely is a fuel delivery issue and not a carb issue and certainly not an ignition issue. Does that truck have an electric fuel pump?
crazymikey   +1y
I think it might be mechanical, I'm not sure. I am however on my way out to go fiddle around with it now, so I'll report back in a bit. Don't think there's much I can do at the moment if the fuel pump is pooched.
crazymikey   +1y
Didn't get much done. Can't hear the fuel pump with the key on, so maybe it's not working? If there's fuel in the carb, it seems to run.

However, even after it dies, and there's still fuel in the carb, it usually won't start.

I'm not too concerned about this motor. I just want it to run. I bought a Sundowner today for $200 instead of getting the 84 with the automatic.
slammed83mazda   +1y
It's the fuel pump then, it's electric. It's right on the driver side frame rail right behind the cab.