Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  Ford 2.3 turbo swap

Ford 2.3 turbo swap

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1014
replies 3
following 3

bastardz24   +1y
So Ive got an 86 B2000 with a 5-speed. And by a strange stroke of luck I also happen to a Ford 2.3 turbo motor from a Thunderbird turbo coupe sitting in my garage. Google hasnt been to helpful here. Will the 2.3 turbo motor bolt up to my stock transmission and are the motor mounts remotely the same?
befarrer   +1y
Nothing will bolt up. Everything will have to be custom made, and you will probably end up with a Ford transmission, with a custom driveshaft even.
Ricko1966   +1y
I can tell you how to adapt the engine to transmission and manufacture a flywheel but you are going to need access to a good mill, a big accurate lathe, and a heliarc or tig.and I doubt the transmission will take the abuse for long.Personally I would hit the junk yard and eyeball some 2.3 ford pickups with similar wheelbase,use some common sense,take some measurements etc.do things look reasonably the same then grab the mounts for the engine and the trans crossmember grab the flywheel clutch transmission and driveshaft. After that it's all modify cut weld whatever you have to do. U joints it takes some searching but I've always been able to find a ujoint out of something to adapt my rear to my driveshaft If you get that far I will find you a ujoint spec sheet you can spend hours looking over,if your donor trans doesn't have hydraulic clutch pm me I'll tell you what to get to make it hydraulic, I am not going to try to explain driveline angle here if you actually get started I'll tell you how to get the driveline right. You really have a rough row to how if you don't have good crafting skills I built a 5.0 injected ranger , I have no idea how much time I had in the wiring I got welding burn mounting the engine and building the trans mount.Any questions I'll answer to the best of my ability. I really don't think it would be hard but I've been doing weirdo swaps for decades.
Page 1 of 1