Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  1991 Mazda b2200/626 engine swap help

1991 Mazda b2200/626 engine swap help

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2239
replies 4
following 5

timchee86   +1y
The engine in my b2200 is blown and I have a 1991 Mazda 626 that's frame is rusted out. What type of modifications would I have to make to put the 626 engine into the b2200? I've read that they are the same block, but it doesn't look like the head would fit because the distributor would be at the back of the engine and the intake manifold is set up differently.
befarrer   +1y
You got it, take the block and swap all B2200 parts into it, including pistons and i would assume oil pan. I would bet even the crank is different where the flywheel mounts. It can be done with extensive mods, but it the end a Sportage swap will be less work and more rewarding.
mazdatweaker_2   +1y

Use the 626 short block and your existing truck head. You might want to replace the clutch while you are at it if it's a manual. You will have to swap the oil pump pickup tube and oil pan off the truck on the 626 motor. That's basically it.
anguswilly   +1y

Yes, and you'll end up with a little more power since the 626 pistons are higher compression.
dealwithit   +1y
the problem will be that your 626 engine is a 12v head configuration, while the truck engine is an 8v head config. this means your valve reliefs in your pistons wont line up with your valves properly. now you might get away with it running as an interference engine, or it might not, but the intake valves on the 8v head all land in a center position on the top of the piston, while the 12v has 2 intake valves, which sit side by side. the deepest part of the 8v relief isnt cut into the 12v piston, which i see causing an issue. now to go the other way and put a 12v head on an 8v piston, they dont open as much or have as big of a radius, i could see working. but anyways, if you want to use the 12v block, you should notch the top of your pistons to match the 8v units to keep from having issues.
Page 1 of 1