Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  1990 B2200 Carbureted Engine swaps

1990 B2200 Carbureted Engine swaps

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2716
replies 5
following 5

mitch4522   +1y
Hello, Im new to this and i was wondering what engines are the easiest to put in my b2200. I am 16 years old and looked around but cant get any straight answers. It only has 85hp and i was looking for something that would be a direct fit without having to change the mounts and do too many modifications. Ive heard the f2t engine fits but requires some mods. Ilike those motors but could someone explain to me in detail what exactly i have to do for this or what other engines that could fit to give me more power? Thanks.
befarrer   +1y
I'm no expert, but if you have the desire to stay carburated, then a V8 carb swap will be the easiest, and it is by no means a bolt in swap. There are some bolt in swaps, but require you to make your truck an EFI truck, which involves a decent amount of wiring, as any motor that bolts in, is only available EFI, and therefore no carb intake manifolds fit.
dealwithit   +1y
if you want to stay carbed to in a sense "keep it simple" then a domestic v8 or v6 would be your best bet. the ford 302/5.0L fits in ok, but does require some fab for the exhaust, driveshaft, trans mount, clutch (if you go t5), and the rad doesnt fit in the normal spot if you dont get the short waterpump/front housing from a 94/95 mustang. now for a v6 you could always grab a ford 3.8L from a stang with the trans as well, or a chevy 4.3 from a 2wd s10 with the matching trans. im sure theres other options but those off the top of my head would probably be the easiest and most available options around you.
mitch4522   +1y

I like the idea of the S10 one just because i'm in a gm family but what would i have to do to get a v6 s10 engine in?
sincitylocal   +1y
Engine and transmission mounts, custom drive shaft and exhaust. You might be able to keep the Mazda radiator, but a two row would be a MUST!.
geterdun   +1y
I have done a 4.3 from a Chevy truck install. I used the original radiator, bolted to original mounts.
I call this a drop in fit. Motor mounts sit on the original truck motor mount pads. Use late '70's car engine mounts, make a channel iron shaped saddle for it to bolt to. These, bolted to the engine/tranny set in the truck, positioned where you want the engine can be welded in place. I used soapstone to mark the location to drill bolt holes through in the truck engine pads. Then lifted the engine, pulled the bolt out of the mount holding the channels I fabricated to the engine. Then drilled where I had marked for the holes to be in the channel iron that the mounts will sit in.
Have to make a cross member for the transmission mount. I used an automatic. I modified the original shifter and used it. Truck looks original, no redesign of anything major. I used a regular Chevy bottom hose, which I cut and added a piece of pipe to go under the engine pulley from the water pump to the radiator. I am sure a one piece hose can be found, as many other GM brand engines as they used in cars back in the '70's. Fancy way is to move the top and bottom necks on the radiator to the opposite sides, or a radiator supply house may have a radiator that will fit the truck bolt up pattern with the hose outlets on the opposite sides?
The driver's side exhaust manifold did have to be modified, but there may be a differently designed one that would not have to?
Can use the throttle cable on the truck. I ran an adapter plate for a carb (pre '80's) with a carband HEI distributor (new $75 Ebay) for 86 4.3 truck. If your fuel pump is in the tank, use it. If on the engine, mount a pump with filter between the tank and engine.
Power steering pump, if you have power steering, is right there by the steering sector Have the hose made up. A/c is on the passenger side, have the hoses made up.
Rock and roll.

To drop it in: pull exhaust manifolds off, in case you have to remove one, the bolts are easier to remove out of the truck if one breaks.
Pull the distributor, it will be in the way or ruined putting engine in.
Remove the fan and discard or store, you will be using a flex fan.
Now you have 190 horses, without engine modifications.
Before the install, I would flip the transmission over and put a shift kit in it. If not comfortable with this have it done.
Hope this helps, any questions, we are all here to learn and help.
Page 1 of 1