Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Swaps \  Ft2 in b2600i

Ft2 in b2600i

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2842
replies 10
following 2

jonnyboy303   +1y
So my buddy I work with might be able to gt his hands on a ft2 motor and maybe wanna sell it to me. JUst want to know what is needed to get this thing in this truck and running. Do I swap transmissions or can I use my 2600i manual trans? What are some of the things needed to swap? Lmk what u guys have!
dealwithit   +1y
the engine will bolt up to the trans just fine, and i believe if you use the f2t flywheel (6 bolt crank, 240mm clutch disc) the starter will line up fine. the b2600i flywheel is an 8bolt crank, 250mm clutch disc. an Fe3 kia engine is an 8 bolt crank and a direct swap with the b2600i flywheel and trans. you will need to change your engine mounts on the frame to the b2200 style ones, which will require cutting off your b2600i ones and welding on the b2200 ones. the f2t is also a pain because of the distributor location, it comes out the back of the head right into the firewall when put in a rwd configuration. the only way to keep the factory ecu happy is to keep the distributor and loose your heater core. the other way (which most have done in there swaps, mine included) is to ditch the distributor and the factory ecu for a megasquirt system, and a toothed wheel mounted to the crank pulley for the megasquirt to read engine position. the turbo is also backwards compared to a normal rwd turbo system, so the exhaust comes out the front, and the intake is against the firewall. i personally made an angled adapter to point the turbo away from the block to be able to flip it around. feel free to ask any other questions you may have, its not exactly a simple swap, but they can make decent power pretty easily with that factory 7.8:1 CR
dealwithit   +1y
if your g6 engine is still in good shape, i would recommend just fabbing a manifold and tossing a turbo on that, its already a 12v head and 400cc more displacement. Also with the factory mass air system you should be able to just put the turbo between the maf and the throttle body, and intercooler if you wish to run one. i forget if they have a vacum advance in the distributor or thats just the carbed ones. you can then use an FMU to boost the fuel pressure in boost (make sure you upgrade the fuel pump to at least a 255lph). And there you go, cheap turbo system with probably better gains than a f2t (on a budget anyways).
jonnyboy303   +1y
Well damn thanks man lol. I have also wanted to see if u know anything about the 5.0 swaps. I have a 5.0 rebuilt in my garage, a t5 and a clutch setup. Idk what to use for a harness tho
dealwithit   +1y
is it an efi 5.0L? if you go that way (i was just about to, before i decided on a KLDE v6) get an engine harness from a mustang and just get a megasquirt to run it. you could go with a stock mustang ecu, either an 89+ with mass air flow, or an 86-88 with speed density. i think the older setup is simpler to swap, but if you want to say put on a better intake, cam, heads, headers, injectors etc. you will either want a mass air (somewhat self compensating, and changing the mass air flow sensor to match bigger injectors is just that simple) or go megasquirt so you can tune it yourself for whatever mods you do to it (and you can delete off the unneeded things like emissions and what not).
jonnyboy303   +1y
Yeah it's efi. I actually bought the a9l harness lastnight and I've been looking for the right price harness for months. So I'm super excited. I have rebuilt the top end of the 302 and I have trick flow manifolds, shorty headers, b303 cam, aftermarket fuel rails, and a vortech inline fuel pump? I think that's it, t5, brand new xtd clutch stg 3, hydraulic conversion, But yeah, I need motor mounts ecu and just misc. items now. I'm super excited
dealwithit   +1y
get the convertable engine mounts, and if possible the explorer waterpump, front cover and pullies (to shorten the front of the engine, you will need to move your rad into the core support otherwise). most use block hugger headers, to keep the pipes nice and close. so are you going with the factory maf system or a megasquirt?
jonnyboy303   +1y
Yeah it's gonna be factory maf setup. And I bought the hugger headers. For water lump I have an electric water pump
dealwithit   +1y
oh decent, sounds like your well on your way then. time to start tearing it apart, and dont look back!
jonnyboy303   +1y
Yeah I can't I'm too far ahead to stop too haha. Ill post pics when I start tearing apart the truck.