Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  swap question again. lol

swap question again. lol

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1217
replies 9
following 6

imrjbitch   +1y
just tonight, my motor blew trying to get it home. so kind of pressed to find something.
anyways, what is in front of the crossmember? the part under the alternater that goes across. is it a part of the steering? because one of the engines im looking at only comes front sump and i dont see anything for a conversion. was wondering if it would still work
dan woodland   +1y
To the front of the cross member - The sway bar? The skid pan? to the side of the ALT - the frame...
imrjbitch   +1y

oohh ok. i feel little better now that its not steering. lol
befarrer   +1y
If its steering it will move when your turn the steering wheel lol. When I was mounting my 13B, the first thing that contacted the oil pan was the steering linkage that connects the left side to the right side, so I made it fit as close as possible to that bar.
sciroccoboi16v   +1y
Are you talking about the power steering line that loops across the front of the crossmember? Its there for cooling, you can bypass it if you want.
imrjbitch   +1y
ok. one more question, ive never done a different engine swap before, jus a replacement swap, but what is all needed to get it running? i have engine, harness and ecu and stuff. do i need to splice wires for dash? if so what wires? what do i do with the ecm? and emissions stuff?
befarrer   +1y
Any wires that go from the engine to the chassis need to be spliced. Basically, any idiot lights (oil pressure, alternator, etc...) need to be spliced, along with temp gauge and tach (if equipped), also need to splice in the clutch and brake switch if the new motor needs inputs from them, and transmission switches (neutral switch), also need to splice battery power, ignition power, and grounds.
imrjbitch   +1y
Ok. That doesn't sound too hard. I can pretty much figure out the lines and etc. the wires I'll need to get a couple diagrams and such.
One more question. I have the engine harness to the ecu but not the body harness. And I'm pretty sure the car that I got it out of had a whole bunch of other stuff. So will I need to find a bigger fuse box?

And the donor car had gauges and such for oil and battery volt, will I need to get pods for those or can those be turned into idiot lights for simplicity?
tucknrimmaz   +1y
What engine is it?
geterdun   +1y
Carburated GM 4.3 Vortec from a truck, with HEI distributor for an 86 engine is a drop in fit, use original radiator and shifter, if automatic. Have to redesign the cross member under the engine, or use a 55-57 Chevy front sump oil pan.
Page 1 of 1