threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  Should I swap my 2.0 or replace the rings?

Should I swap my 2.0 or replace the rings?

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 691
replies 4
following 5

84blackb2k   +1y
I have a 84 b2000 with the stock 2.0 on it. I replaced the head gasket in it about 6 months ago, but now im pretty sure I blew a piston ring. Im planning on getting a new motor for it, but im not sure what motor I should get. My plan right now is to find a 2.2 to throw in it, but if that wont make a big difference performance wise, id rather just put new piston rings in the 2.0. The motor has almost 300k and I drove it like it was a rally truck haha. So any suggestions?
mazdatweaker_2   +1y
I went the 2.0 to 2.2 liter upgrade route and it was a waste of time in terms of any real performance. So I would suggest putting in a Kia FE-3 motor in for a swap.
befarrer   +1y
Depends on your finances and timeline. Fixing your motor would be cheaper and faster, as long as the block snd bottom nd are good. If you can afford to have the truck down for a bit, then put the money towards a swap.
robert_paulsen   +1y
sounds like rings to me would be the better choice. plus id like a bit of a how to on it.
geterdun   +1y
You may find a 4.3 GM truck engine and automatic for what it will cost to rebuild your putt-putt 2.0. As close to a drop in fit as it gets, for 190 horses. Go carb, HEI distributor from an 86, make mount saddles, transmission mount, drive shaft, rest is more or less fabricate little things and drive it. Spoken from having done it.
Page 1 of 1