Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Swaps \  quick questoin about a swap

quick questoin about a swap

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1351
replies 12
following 6

imrjbitch   +1y
ok so im thinking of ditching the carbed motor and thinking of going to a fuel injected on out of a lexus. im thinking about fuel management and how i would go about taking care of that. could i jus get fuel pumps parts and lines for the car and swap em out? and if im getting the ecu/ecm with it and wiring harness, do i still need to run a standalone?
sincitylocal   +1y
The easiest way would be to buy the entire car. That way you'd have the ecm, harness and all components needed for the swap.
imrjbitch   +1y
Ok so if it comes with motor tranny harness and ecu/ECM I'm good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sincitylocal   +1y
You should be.
If you delete smog items, like evap system and gas tank pressure switch(obd2), you'll get codes stored, and a check engine light(if wired up properly).
imrjbitch   +1y
What are those? Evaporate system? And gas tank pressure switch? There's a switch for that???

sincitylocal   +1y
There are all kinds of sensors on newer cars. Yes gas tank sensors send info to the ecm. If you leave you gas cap off, it throws a code.
Depends on what year car the motor comes from.
imrjbitch   +1y
So those item you were referring too aren't on our trucks right? Those are for the car? Or is the smog about the trucks?
robert_paulsen   +1y
the older carb equipped vehicles mostly do not have check engine codes or lights. all newer vehicles from early 90s on do. so any motor swap you run will require the computer, wiring harness, cat convertor, o2 sensors, fuel pump, a custom made fuel cell or the stock gas tank from the vehicle your acquiring the swap from in addition to custom drive line, custom engine and transmission mounts, in most cases your better off acquiring a complete vehicle that runs and drives to gather your needed parts from so this way any and all parts you need you will have except mounts and possibly drive line..

however depending on your state/county dmv/smog/inspections you may have to have your swap approved to be on the road. in california all motor swaps that arent the factory motor such as v6 to v8 require being bar'd by the smog referree as being done properly.
befarrer   +1y
Depending on the year Lexus I would run a standalone, most automatics are computer controlled by the engine computer, and the dash is tied into the engine computer, same with any security. If its newer than say mid 90's, most of the cars electronics would have to be swapped over to use the stock ecu, so you would be better off going standalone.
imrjbitch   +1y
So even if it's stick?
And I think it's a 98.
Is there a way to weed out stuff to run the stock ecu?