Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  Radiator for 13B Swap

Radiator for 13B Swap

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2225
replies 7
following 3

befarrer   +1y
For those who have completed a rotary swap, what radiator have you used? My biggest issue I am finding is the heater core return line, which on a rotary has no nipple on the motor, and connected to the lower rad hose outlet. I am currently using the stock B2200 auto radiator with the heater core return line threaded into the drain fitting on a "Tee". The stock rad is only adequate for daily driving, on the highway, and spirited driving, I can see my temp gauge rise, I have an electric cooling fan too. I have the stock RX-7 Radiator, which I think I will end up using, however, the inlet and outlet are at horrible angles, the bottom fitting points upward, and the upper fitting is pointing straight down. I saw a B2600i in the wreckers, the rad is much larger and 2x thicker, but the drain fitting is molded in, so I don't have a place to install my heater core hose. Same issue with the MPV rads.
befarrer   +1y
I went searching at the wreckers for a suitable rad, found some good ones, however they had nowhere to hook up the heater core return. I installed the RX7 radiator, the outlet angles are not great, but it had a nipple for my heater core. The only other problem that I didn't realize until I installed it was that the rad cap on the motor is lower than the top of the rad, but the RX7 rad has a low coolant sensor at the top, and with a small funnel, I can fill it from there. I also installed a 2 speed Ford Tarus fan & shroud, which is almost identical in size to the RX7 rad. Took it for a test drive, and it seems to cool much better, didnt have to have the fan on all the time, and when I did have to turn it on, temperature dropped over 2X faster than with the B2200 rad. The main difference between this rad an the B2200 rad is thickness, the RX7 rad is over 2X thicker, giving it better cooling capacity.

Pics:
Oil cooler mounted, was previously mounted to B2200 rad bracket, now on its separate mount:
thread post photo

Just about touching the support, with grille on, it looks like an intercooler lol:
thread post photo

Rad mounted with new fan, much cleaner than before:
thread post photo

thread post photo

I now have a decent sized gap here, need to find some pre-moulded rad hoses that look nicer than the flex hose on top, and 2 hoses on bottom, I just used what I had laying around for now:
thread post photo
vsawmike   +1y
Any competent radiator shop will move the necks around, add hose connections etc. Anything you need they can do. Just have to ask.
befarrer   +1y
These are aluminum radiators with plastic end tanks. Not sure how many if any radiator shops are around here, but they are not cheap. We got 'oil tax' here in Alberta, shop rates for under $100/hour is hard to find. I took a heater core in for repair in the mid 2000's to get a crack repaired in a small town rad shop, was quoted over $100, and over 1 week wait. Its crazy. My oil cooler lined for this swap cost $120 to get longer hoses crimped onto the existing hard lines.
vsawmike   +1y
Sounds like you need to ship it off to get repaired. Or have one built. Most of the Mazda B series from 86-93 have a copper and brass radiator. Maybe get one of those and have it modded.

Or buy a universal one from speedway motors and mod it.
chaserjohndoe   +1y
You can get an aluminum rad for a b2200 that is 2 or 3 core. ask Cusser. He knows how good they are.
vsawmike   +1y
1 core. 2 or 3 row.
befarrer   +1y
I had the larger automatic rad, was ok for around town and light highway, but when you wanted to play with the revs, it ran out of cooling capacity for the rotary. The rotary puts out lots of heat.
Page 1 of 1