Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Swaps \  2.3 Turbocoupe 4 Cylinder Swap Clutch Questions

2.3 Turbocoupe 4 Cylinder Swap Clutch Questions

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2071
replies 15
following 4

magentamonster   +1y
Ok I'll be dropping in a 2.3 turbo from a Turbocoupe in my 87' B2000 and was wondering how people setup the clutch system. I realize that both vehicles utilize hydraulic systems however adapting the weird Thunderbird slave cylinder to the Mazda master cylinder would work but where would I find a fitting to fit the slave on it? I also have a few other questions about some things I am not certain on. If someone has done this swap please chime in or PM me so I can get some information. Thanks!

Donovan.
sincitylocal   +1y
Find a local place that makes brake hoses, and they can make one that will work for you.
All they need are, sample fittings(one for each end), and a measurement for required length.
anguswilly   +1y
I don't know that anyone has done this swap, but I can say for sure it'll make the same or less power than the stock motor with a turbo bolted on.

Quite a checklist for things you'll need (no more really than any other swap):

- Custom mounts

- Custom driveshaft

- Custom intercooler piping

- Exhaust/ downpipe

- Wiring (not much if it's the carb'd one)

- Fuel system (pump etc.)

- Possibly tach adapter

- Rad or adapter hoses

- Power steering stuff

- Probably more stuff I am forgetting right now

To address your clutch question, there are more than just the line you will have to deal with.

First for the line, you can buy an adapter (like from russell) that will screw into the master and one to screw into the slave, that will allow you to use a -3 A/N braided line, that is the easiest way.

The second problem is wether the Mazda master can in fact push the Ford slave to the proper amount if travel - that is the real problem and one I ran into in my 5.0 swap, I tried the wilwood slave (which I hated) and finally have a custom one made.

I will still contend that for all your trouble, you could put a real nice turbo setup not eh 2.2 mazda motor and come out better for less or the same money.
magentamonster   +1y
Thank you for the information. But I seriously doubt you could crank the power out of a 2.2 like you can the Ford 2.3 turbo sorry but these motors on the stock IHI smaller Turbocoupe cars can produce about 250 to the tires with proper bolt ons and free flowing exhaust with the boost cranked up. I mean come on. You can go on YouTube and see Jon Huber's 4 cylinder turbo car run 9.04 at an insane trap speed. We had an 11 second 84.5 GT350 with these engines (pre SVO if you were not aware anyway). I personally have a 302 fox I did up mildly built with some Explorer heads and it runs amazing should be in the 12's with a tire on it. But I can also safely say these blocks are as strong or if not stronger than a 302 HO. Hell after 500 hp you might split it down the middle of the block. Also it really is not much trouble considering it bolts in with Mustang mounts the same a 302 would. Where do you say that a 2.3 turbo would make less than 76 HP (then whatever a turbo might add to it) or whatever the 2.2 is rated at? I do not mean to offend anybody but that is just ridiculous. I just do not see how that is better. The 2.3 is tried and true way to make power, a 2.2 is good for driving around.
anguswilly   +1y
Ok, you'd be that I like to call "wrong" (really that was just a joke) I am also a mustang guy and know the 302/5.0 well and am a little familiar with both the 2.3 turbo and SVO.

There are people doing 400whp on STOCK 2.2 F2 Mazda engines.

These motors are factory turbocharged in other countries - a very stout motor indeed.

The biggest benefit from turbocharging the mazda motor is going to be the fact that you do not have to "swap" anything and you have (somewhat) newer technology.

Although it sounds like I am trying to talk you out of it - I am just trying to show you other options.

You make mention of the 2.3 Ford vs. the 2.2 mazda in stock HP - what does a stock 2.3 non-turbo make? Bet it's pretty similar to the 90hp from the (severely under tuned) Mazda 2.2 F2 - Yet the Mazda F2T (tiny factory turbo) does 145hp and 190tq (also widely accepted as underrated by the factory since guys get that to the wheels with stock cars)

And that is with a tiny turbo stock, much smaller than the turbo coupe's turbo -

The 2.3 CAN definitely make good power, just don't underestimate the Mazda motor, it can make lots - and lots.

BTW, my last Mazda had a blown 5.0 in it - 9psi vortech S-trim.
magentamonster   +1y
That's very nice and I wanna see pics of your truck with the 5.0 sounds awesome and I like I said I'm not trying to offend anybody. But really a 2.3 turbo will not be that bad to swap, and the parts are very readily available and widely supplied in the aftermarket. It bolts in and is a platform I'm familiar with. I was also considering using a Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor like I tune my Mustang with to tune the 4 cylinder but the PIMP system looks much better. I have no idea what options are for tuning the F2T engines and a stock SVO was rated at 205 HP and at the time IIRC that was more power than the 302 made as well. I'd also like fuel injection over carb much easier for me to tune as well. So not saying the Mazda engine cannot make the power, but it's easier for me to get what I want with something I know. Also a side note is that this is a 325,000 mile 2.0 and I already have the engine to go in it.
13b2600i   +1y
i done this swap a few years back. now im thinking about doing it again. if i can sell the 13b rotary set up. i took the metal piece off the plastic end and cut the metal tubing and soldered it together. it worked fine. or you can just use the t bird clutch master cylinder. what did you do for mounts?
13b2600i   +1y
lmao at the post. a 88 2.3 turbo with 3'' exhaust boost turned up front mount intercooler k&n filter in my last mazda was nasty.
magentamonster   +1y
I haven't done the swap yet trying to get prepared for it. I plan on using Mustang mounts and ok I'll try that for the line on the clutch I just need details on what exactly to do on some things.
13b2600i   +1y
where you located