Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  Best power/dollar for the FE motor

Best power/dollar for the FE motor

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 842
replies 2
following 3

mooop888   +1y
I have a stock 2.0L FE motor in my 1987 B2000. I was leaning towards possibly swapping, but also heard that just putting a little time, money, and TLC to these engines can actually make a pretty nice amount of power.

I was just wondering what all I could do (preferably myself, but would go to a shop if needed) to really put some power in this engine. I'm kind of into the drifting scene, and decided to get a truck on the side to see if I could have a 'super epic drift truck'. If a swap would be better let me know, I'm just wondering what the best bang for my buck right now to go fast and get sideways!

Would it be worth it to throw in the FE3 Kia motor and work from there? Or should I just work on my FE 2.0 Single cam? I know it's pretty damn tough to find a turbo manifold for the engine that's currently in the truck, but I may not even have to turbo it! I'm kind of new to the Mazda scene and very new to the trucking scene, so any help is appreciated!
spacemonkee23   +1y
First of all, whoever said that you could get a "nice" amount of power must not have owned a B. These trucks are dogs when it comes to power. Stock is 85HP, with a fair amount of bolt ons you still won't make much power. I have the 2.2 with EFI and a fair amount of bolt ons, its a little quicker but not fast by any means, especially up hill An FE3 would be a much better starting point if you are looking to get some decent power out of it. Perhaps a turbo Rotary, maybe even a V8 if you are looking to scream a little

anguswilly   +1y
OK, for starters the FE motor did come turbocharged from the factory in other markets.

You can turbocharge it by using the manifold and turbo for the F2T.

If you buy the manifold from ebay, fair warning - take it to a proper welding shop that can big weld and back purge it - it'll be good then - if you do not it'll crack (ask me how I know)

The main issue with the FE/F2 8V motor is that it has terrible head flow, this can be compensated for by upgrading the camshaft, which is terrible, so a cam makes a huge difference.

If you are trying to drift it, you'll certainly want a turbo because no amount of bolt-ons will get you the kind of power you need to drift nicely.

Turbocharging is really not that hard at all and you can see there are plenty who do it to these trucks (including myself)

Expect to spend $500-1000 depending on how much work you can do yourself.
Page 1 of 1