Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  transmission and rear end set up ?/opinion

transmission and rear end set up ?/opinion

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 880
replies 5
following 3

graphx327   +1y
I currently have set up chevy 327 w/+-400 hp, a 700r4 and 2:93 gears. So with the overdrive i was going over 100mph at about 2500 rpm. To make a long story short, I glazed 2 gear (assuming the throttle wasn't set right). So I can spend the $ to fix the trans and maybe more $ to change the gears, or use a 350T that my buddy has in his garage that he'll give me and only spend $ on the driveshaft which shouldn't be that bad. This way I lose the overdrive but might still have a good set up with the new trans and old rear. Any thoughts or questions? Thanks!
Post was last edited on Feb 20, 2014 09:02. This post has been edited 1 times.
sincitylocal   +1y
What kind of money are you talking?
I'm running a V8/700R4 myself. I don't like the idea of losing overdrive.
graphx327   +1y

from what I heard and checked into local guys that can help said it'll be around $1000-1500, to get it back to the set up I had, which I wasn't thrilled with. so that's where changing the gears from the 2:93 maybe to more of a 3:73 ratio would come in and haven't even checked to see the cost there yet.
sincitylocal   +1y
When I looked into getting mine rebuilt, I came across the same disappointing prices.
I found this for about the same cost, and I couldn't be happier.

The only things I plan to do to add are a shift improver kit and a Corvette 2nd gear servo. The wider band gives it a firmer 2 and 4 shift, but I want to put more leverage to the band for second gear. They've done the larger 4th gear servo, but the 1-2 shift is the one that puts the most stress to the band.

edit: At first, your original post stated different gear ratio. With what gear you're showing now, a TH350 might do you right.
anguswilly   +1y
3:73 is a great ratio for me, I've had it in 2 trucks so far.
graphx327   +1y
edit: At first, your original post stated different gear ratio. With what gear you're showing now, a TH350 might do you right.[/quote]

Sorry, I had a brain fart with the ratio when I posted, so had to edit.
It has 2:93's So with the overdrive, I have one heck of a top end.
Page 1 of 1