Mazda Engine Swaps \  88 B2200 2.6 swap

88 B2200 2.6 swap

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1642
replies 8
following 5

desekrator   +1y
Ladies and gentlemen,

I have a carb'd '88 B2200 2WD, and a donor fuel injected '88 B2600 4X4. I wanted to swap out the 2.2 for the injected 2.6. I searched on here briefly to find out more information on the swap, but didn't exactly come up with the information I needed.

I am new to these trucks, and the current motor has some serious idle/fuel issues. I want the 2.6 in there but I'm not sure what exactly goes into this swap. I'd like to keep my 2WD set up and just R&R the engine if possible.

Are there any modifications needed to the motor mounts as far as the location goes?
Will the 2.6 bolt up to my transmission?
Or anything else I should know about

Thank you everyone for your input in advance, and excuse the rookie questions!
coloradolowlife   +1y
If i remember correctly your going to need a 2wd trans the wiring harness and ecu.... have you figured out wich 2.6 it is? There are 2 diff ones
coloradolowlife   +1y
Im pretty sure neither will bolt up to the stock transmission....but before you start on anything....make sure the ecu is good in the donor....they have a tendency to poop the bed
desekrator   +1y
I have the entire donor truck. It came into the shop for an oil change. On the lift, the frame broke. So, the customer just sold it right then and there, haha.

From my research, it's the Mazda fuel injected 2.6, not the Mitsubishi.
baha   +1y
I've heard stories of a frame breaking on a lift, do you have any pics? I'm scared every time I'm underneath a vehicle.

I've never done this swap but are both trucks autos, or 5spds? I've seen some use different transmission mounts depending on auto or 5spd.
desekrator   +1y
They're both manuals. I can take pictures of the b22, but the b26 at my friends house at the moment.
I was wondering if there is some sort of a bellhousing adapter I can order.

Hm, this is looking pretty grim since the truck is my DD, and I have an 24/7 on call job. Not giving up yet though.
chaserjohndoe   +1y
the 2.6 mitsu and 2.6i mazda used completely different trans than the 2.2/2.0 mazda, with either the auto or manual.
sincitylocal   +1y
Motor mounts are different, and the heater core/firewall will require modification.
This is my swap thread on Mazdatrucking.
desekrator   +1y
That was the ticket! I'm glad you posted your write up. I'll have to go over that once more and really decide if I want to do this. Seems as though it's going to be a lot more beneficial for me as far as time and money goes to just throw a Weber on there instead of going through with this swap. I just really wanted FI, haha.
Page 1 of 1