threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  SBC swap question Short or Long Accessories???

SBC swap question Short or Long Accessories???

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 970
replies 7
following 5

onebadkota   +1y
For you all that have swapped a sbc into your maz (running 700r4 trans)...

Which water pump setup did you use (short water pump or long water pump)???

I am fabbing up a new fire wall and trans tunnel etc... so worrying about keeping factory is not an issue... I am mainly looking at which one is needed for radiator/fan clearance. Or will either be okay?

Thanks in advance
fdugn545   +1y
Idk from personal experience but I would go with the shorter accessories.

Sent from GS2 on Tapatalk
dean   +1y
I put a 350 in an S10 with AC. I used the short accessories. I think the S10 engine compartment is shorter than the Mazda, but I'd still use the short stuff in your truck.
fdugn545   +1y
Did you set the motor back any further than stock would be? I just ask this because you said u are in the process of redoing the firewall.. If u did them u should have no issue with the water pump clearance. If not them I'm pretty sure you'll have to use the short water pump at least.

Sent from GS2 on Tapatalk
onebadkota   +1y
Thanks for the responses so far....I do plan on sinking the motor into the firewall a little bit yes...to allow more room up front, and hopefully some additional hood clearance just in case. (I am boddied to rocker)

I am running no AC... So power steering, alt, water pump will be the only accessories on the front... I am assuming I will need to do a midmount bracket for the alternator (im thinking the reg. mounted ones will prob. create issues with the hood)... But this is all based on assumption. I have found them for LWP set ups, but havnt really found much for the swp setups... although i know they have to be out there somewhere.

Soo....Im Just fishing for a little further thoughts or input before i make my purchases.
sincitylocal   +1y
I have a TPI 350 in mine.
If you're familiar with the L98, you know that it runs a serpentine belt with a reverse rotating water pump.
There is no short pump option with the reverse rotating pump... I looked into it. So, I did mine with all long accessories.
thread post photo

Everyone said I was going to have to notch the firewall for the distributor, but it wasn't true.
thread post photo

However, I did have to move the radiator forward, so modifying the core support was in order.
But I used a '91 Firebird/Camaro radiator, so mods to the core support was inevitable.

I didn't do a build thread, but look here for more help.
jc50942   +1y
i went with short on mine...but long will work too if you are moving the firewall a bit anyway...i personally like the alt location better with the long setup...but it doesnt really matter.
dean   +1y
I used this guys brackets on my S10 and was real happy with them.
Page 1 of 1