threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Swaps \  What rules and regs?

What rules and regs?

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1679
replies 10
following 5

jobbadahut613   +1y
Ok guys i see all the engine swaps going into your B's but I got a question. Say I wanted to put a late model engine in my truck what rules and regulations do I have to abide by? By late model I mean something less than 5 years old.
charlesskelter   +1y
Most states that is actually the regulation. The engine is supposed to be from your vehicles model year or newer. On vehicles with OBD set ups you have to to keep them legal, on vehicles without, inspections are much more lax, and pretty much no one outside of cali cares.
jobbadahut613   +1y
My ideas for a motor swap (lots of them) are finding a ecoboost motor and tranny and making it fit and work. How does that sound. A real Ford/ Mazda hybrid. And yes I might be a little crazy as my wife says.

charlesskelter   +1y
Why an ecoboost motor? Mileage will go down, plus it will cost a lot more for the swap than others, plus you have to run ask the extra wiring, accommodate for the dash lights/gauges etc that you will need and not have.

If you want to do it just to do it, that's cool, but if you're looking to benefit from it, it won't be the case.
91extcab   +1y
fe motor all the way!! i like the idea of the 180hp 2.0l dohc motor with a small turbo... or a rotary... and i believe either of those would be far easier than trying the ecoboost one...
jobbadahut613   +1y
FE motor??? I was trying to think of something that was already rear wheel drive.
91extcab   +1y
really...? and the 95 to i believe 99 kia sportage is a rwd with a de-tuned fe3 already under the hood... hmm... sounds like an easier find... its been done... search fe3 on the site, couple of the guys have them or had them, and there is a sweeeeet aussie flat bed with a turbo'd fe3...

like this one... exactly like this one... mmmm

jobbadahut613   +1y
Well lets just say I have done more than my share of motor work and rebuilds but no swaps. So as I lay in bed at night trying to figure out all the details in my head and looking around on sites and see all the motor swaps and have a couple of freinds that are into the tuner scene this bug has now hit me.And as i know from showing my other Mazda a few times before I had more kids than the truck would hold (legally) Originality is the key.
mazdaman82   +1y
if you are looking for power and want to keep all mazda..how doing the mazda mpv 4.0 swap that would be cool as hell and im not sure if it has been done yet, a few have looked into it but dont think it was done..

the 4.0 used the same trans as the 2.6i
jobbadahut613   +1y
What years MPV?