Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  possible 350/350turbo and ford rearend swap 87 b2k

possible 350/350turbo and ford rearend swap 87 b2k

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 928
replies 3
following 3

bigbrewdrums   +1y
hey guys!!! im wanting to do a 350/350turbo/9" ford rearend with discs swap in my 87 b2000 but have no clue what it could cost? i know what i want in it but only have basic mechanical skills like doing brakes, changing oil, etc... so i would probably have to pay someone to put em in.. i want a new crate 350 and 350turbo but the rear end wouldnt have to be new... can i find a rearend with discs already on em or would i have to convert it? i dont want a big performance machine, but compared to my headered and webered 2.0 itll probably feel and sound like a monster...

help me out techies!!! thanks!
v8mazda4ever   +1y
Well with the rear end I went with a 94 nissan pathfinder rear end which comes with disk brakes and bolts right in and is abit shorter than the stock rear end and you have alot more rear gear ratios. I would go with a 700r4 or a 4l60e transmission with the over drive you will find it alot nicer on the hwy than the 350 turbo.You can do a 283 or 305 with a 2 barrel carb if you want to have some kinda fuel economy. There are alot of used v8 motors out there cheap and cheap to rebuild or just clean up.
bigbrewdrums   +1y

its my daily driver so i gotta have a little power and fuel economy as well... would either the 700r4 or 4l60e have to have a computer? id like to keep from having one. 283 sounds nice tho... maybe even a 4.3 ... i guess i just need a list of everything im gonna need for the swap because i have no clue what all i would need
bagdb2200   +1y
The 700r4 does not need a computer. It uses a TV cable to control shifts. The 4l60e needs a computer as it's the computerized version of the 700r4.

For the swap, you're just gonna need your engine/transmission and axle you want to use. You're going to want to get an aluminum radiator, and will probably have to mount it farther forward in the core support than the factory one for fitment. And also get an electric cooling fan, for fitment reasons also. You're probably going to need to modify the engine crossmember a little to fit around your oil pan depending on where you end up positioning the motor. You're going to have to make/modify the transmission crossmember, and make your own motor mounts, or buy some swap mounts and universal weld-on frame tabs for them. Then run some exhaust for it.

The rear end you'll have to figure out if you want to stick to leaf springs or do a link setup/coilovers, etc. If you keep leafs, you'll probably end up having to put new leaf mount pads on the axle unless you get lucky and find a 9" from a Ford that has the leaf springs at the same places as a Mazda.

There aren't too many parts you need for the swap, just a decent amount of fab work to get it all in.
Page 1 of 1