Mazda Engine Swaps \  Buick 215 (Rover V8) swap

Buick 215 (Rover V8) swap

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3244
replies 9
following 2

artimus   +1y
Hi all!

A friend just gave me a Buick 215 w/heads and most of the trimmings. I am planning on rebuilding the engine completely (all ARP and a stroker kit) and running MegaSquirt in my 88 4x4.

I know that this can be done, and by my estimates this will be about 120lbs lighter than what is currently in the truck (G54B). This takes into account pulling the transfer case from an older S10 along with a T-5 trans.

A few questions though, since alost of you have done swaps with smallblock V8's:

1. What are the specs on the front/rear diff stock? Are these the same gear ratio?
2. is there anyone here who has done a swap like this and maintained 4x4 functionality? I bought the truck because it was light and had 4x4
3. If so, anyone here know of a transfer case with a centerlocking diff in it that would mate to a T5?
jimbeater   +1y
hey. that would be great to see done. the previous owner of my truck got a chevy camaro 2.8 v6 mated to the mazda tranny and 4x4 driveline. it works, and i know that carbed 2.8 doesnt have enough balls to break anything... but it is pretty solid and reliable. the bellhousing from the camaro (5spd) was fabed to mate up with the mazda stuff, the output shaft has a 1 1/2" or so extension welded onto it, and the oil pan was clearenced to fit also.

i cant really answer any of your questions, as i dont know how well that 215 motor will fit in, and what parts may work with it (with a bit of work), but i'm not sure if the front wheel drive mazda components would work for too long... and i dont know the gear ratios (when you have some free time try googling it...google the rear end and gears... should be able to find it if you dig deep enough)
artimus   +1y
jimbeater-

Thanks for your feedback on this! This takes some of the doubt away that I will be able to do this.

Did the previous owner every leave you with any prints to re-create those fabbed parts(I know this is probably a negative, but I had to ask).

Also, just so I understand, you have an extension between the transmission and the transfer case in your truck? so the crossmember then would have also been moved forward to mount the transmission? I would also expect you are running some electric fans?

Would it be too much to ask for some pics? I am new to small automotive mech, I have a background in Diesel, which I lovingly call the Duplo-Blocks of automotive
jimbeater   +1y
hey i'll try to get some pics up if i can remember to take some.

from what i understand the camaro and the mazda bellhousings were 'mated' together, i'm pretty sure that no mounts have been moved, other than redoing the motor mounts. same mazda driveshafts and everything, and tranny shifter is in the stock spot.

no prints or pictures or documents from the previous owner, it was just a make it fit/do-it type deal...lol

there is not much room between the fan and the rad. there is no clutch on the current aftermarket fan, and no shroud... i have some plans to setup some electric fans probably in spring. had to find some shinny ones, but i'm still working on that plan... 1 pusher and one puller? 2 pullers? i have had overheating issues with this truck last summer.
artimus   +1y
just a quick update on my progress here, honestly not much to say.

I was able to find a local shop that cleaned all the parts and pressure tested the heads (they are in great condition)

Still waiting to hear back on the block test.

The guy at the shop also had some left over parts from a Buick 215, valves and 0.030 over pistons all new so I may end up having it bored out as well

I would have mite progress to report, but my other car 2004 ctsv) needed some repair and ate some of my funds

That's it for now

-Artimus
artimus   +1y
Does anyone know how much the stock drivetrane can take?
jimbeater   +1y
a guy i met near me that has a 1990 or so mazda mx6 2.2 turbo engine with megasquirt and running higher boost, (guessed at 250-275 hp), and lots of torque...

has killed 2 truck trannys, 2 89 RX7 non turbo trannys and a b2200 rearend gears. now has 89 RX7 non turbo rear diff.

have heard that the b2600 driveline is a little tougher
artimus   +1y
My truck has now died... On the way home and before I could do anything about it the temp shot to the roof and it started clattering. Unfortunately I where I live I had to keep driving and it seized as I pulled into the driveway, I had exhaust coming out of the rocker cover.

Now im going to put some more effort on my rover v8 conversion project, but the biggest thing with that is going to be that bell-housing.
artimus   +1y
Just a quick update on this:

Rove engine build is at a pause, I wanted to be sure I could find a transmission that would link to it that wasn't a rover/ford auto. I found a place called D&D Fabrications that makes an adapterbellhousing for a T5. Went to the local yard and pulled a T5 with a t/c from a 88 jimmy/s10.. the only problem is that the t/c is left hand drop.

Now trying to figure out they way down options:
1. Replace the TCase with something else with righ-hand drop... but what? anyone know much about T5's?

2. Replace the front and rear axle.
This can be done, but I dont know what a good donor vehicle would be? Any help is appreciated. I know a few people here have swapped axles

There is a third qwerk, in that I need to find some sort of shifter relocation for the T5, because right now it is 10" farther forward than the old mazda shifter was.
artimus   +1y
I should have posted the project link here years ago.

making some good progress, may get it fired up this weekend for the 4th!
Page 1 of 1