Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  ls1 swap

ls1 swap

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 11681
replies 9
following 5

lil89ram50   +1y
hey has any one ever done this swap? better let me rephrse that, WHO has done this swap? cn you buy mounts or are they custom made? i can get a motor and tranny and all sensors, drive gear, wiring. everything at a low cost to me, about 500 bux for one with about 120k on it. so then i would need my mounts, all fuel lines, maybe a custom oit pan, bigger fuel pump. bigger rad. see mine already has a buick 231 in it now, but i want more power, and i can pick this up cheap, just wana know how well this swap will go over?
v8mazda4ever   +1y
there are pics some where on here of one done
Post was last edited on Nov 30, 2010 10:11. This post has been edited 1 times.
bagdb2200   +1y
You're going to need to make custom mounts for it, no one has made swap mounts to put an LS motor in a Mazda. I don't think I've ever seen the swap done in a Mazda...even though it's probably been done before.

Yes, you'll need to run high pressure fuel lines, and a higher capacity fuel pump. On my LT1 I ran an external Walbro 255lph pump. It seems to be working great, but I haven't driven my truck much yet.

For the oil pan, you don't need to get a custom one, but depending on what car the LS1 came from it would help to use an oil pan from a Hummer H3, or the 5.3l from the Canyons(which will be really hard to find). Those 2 pans the rear sump doesn't go as far forward as a Camaro or Corvette and will be easier to fit the engine over the Mazda's engine crossmember and steering crossbar.

For the radiator, a 4 core might be a little excessive, but wouldn't hurt. I'm only running a 2 core and it keeps my motor cool in the summer, even just sitting, better than my Malibu does(which came with a v8). You're going to want to modify your core support so you can recess the radiator into it and fit some electrical fans in front of the motor. If you didn't have to do that for the Buick motor already that is.

If you're getting this engine with the 4l60e you're going to have to modify your firewall and part of your tranny tunnel to fit it. If you're getting a T56, I'm not sure if it will fit or not because I've never seen one in person to know how large they are.

As for waterpumps, it's not exactly like the old smallblocks that had 3 different length waterpumps, where the difference between the long and short is like 1.5".
On the LS1 you can switch to a LS2 Corvette waterpump but I believe it only gains you like a .5", and you'd also have to swap accessory brackets. You can make it fit as is. I fit my Caprice LT1 which has the accessories the farthest forward out of all the LTs with the radiator and electric fans with about an inch to spare.
v8mazda4ever   +1y
Here are pics of one in a mazda.
thread post photo

thread post photo

If I am wrong let me know but I do believe the Mounts I have do work on this motor and a electric water pump would work really well in this application as seen in theses pics.
Post was last edited on Dec 02, 2010 12:12. This post has been edited 2 times.
bagdb2200   +1y
That's my truck, it's an LT1, not an LS1. That's the factory LT1 waterpump, it's gear driven from behind, not pulley driven like the old small blocks so it kind of looks like an electric pump.

the LS1 is going to fit differently because it's a whole new engine, redesigned from the ground up. Pretty much everything is different, but physically they're similar in size. I'm pretty sure the mounts are different so 350 mounts wouldn't work.

This is an LS motor.
thread post photo
dragginmazda86 (dave)   +1y
^^ You beat me to it, yes that is a lt1 in those pics, clean install by the way BagdB2200. I have yet to see a b series with a ls1 in it but I think it would be awesome!! Yes ls1's have way different motor mounts then lt1's and older sbc's.
v8mazda4ever   +1y
cool so now we got to see what the mounts look like for the LS1. It might be me but I like the look of the old TPI like i have and the LT1. I dont know why but the LS1 just doesnt do it for me and Bagdb2200 that is on clean engine bay bro.
oo7bob   +1y
the ls1 can be put on old style 350 mounts, im kinda thinking that 231 buick has that same mounts as the 350, you use an adapter, it off sets the new to the old,

maybee???????

search for "ls1 mounts" in google images, that may help
dragginmazda86 (dave)   +1y
^^^ Good find!! I had no idea these adapter plates were available. I've been pondering doing a lq4 swap converted to carb in my Monte Carlo but was un sure about fabbing mounts. Heres a pic of those adapter plates:
bagdb2200   +1y
Thanks guys. Nice find 007bob. Now if I ever swap out my LT1 for an LS I know I don't have to redo my mounts!

dragginmazda86, do you still have your truck? I've been hoping to see at a show one of these years, but the one show I know you took it to I missed because my transmission went out the week before.
Page 1 of 1