Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  1HotDawg's Bongo swap

1HotDawg's Bongo swap

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3969
replies 2
following 3

1hotdawg   +1y
Understand, a lot of this is just copied and pasted from multiple postings, so it all may not make sense at times.

I know a lot of you are going to want to see, and have a write up for this. So I'll start a thread on it, and keep it up to date as best I can. We are hoping to begin the install tomorrow.

1.8L Mazda Bongo engine being installed in a 1989 Cab-plus B2200. Stock tranny is being used. 14" Electric Rad fan to be installed, along with an MSD EFI external fuel pump. Engine management via Megasquirt II. Estimated HP, 110-120.

First off, this motor has already been installed into a single cab Mazda previously, and the MS II has already been wired and mapped. So my work will pretty much just be installing the engine and wiring up the supplied harness.

The first photos:

Out of his, on its way to me:
://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/Gerald-NC/IMG00057-20100306-2135.

The delivery method from Canada to North Carolina:
thread post photo

First things to note:

The AC and Power Steering pumps are flipped from what the original truck motor is. The stock AC lines are plenty long enough I believe, but the PS pump return line will have to be extended...we are just going to cut out the "loop" where it runs below the motor and affix the hose just above the PS pump. Don't know why it's looped like it is anyway. We will be exchanging the ends for the high pressure line with those off the truck's pump via cutting and flaring the fitting...no biggy here. Or you could go have a line made to fit.

As for the exhaust, the Bongo's manifold is like a header already. It does however, have a fitting in the rear of it that has a line attached from the intake manifold to the exhaust manifold. We are assuming this is to keep the intake from icing??? Not sure if we need it yet or not. Although the Pacesetter header will fit the head, due to this line, we may not use it...I'm thinking not right now. (will show a pic when I get it uploaded).

A few things different.

It has serpentine belts.
Small power steering pump...we will have to add a reservoir as well as change the hose end.
The exhaust manifold is larger than the pacesetter...the holes that is. Wait till I post the pics
200 amp alternator
Not sure we'll be able to use the stock ac lines from the truck yet.

Power steering pump, hose connections. The high pressure line, with the big bolt going through it, will be cut and the old connection fitted and then the end flared to make the factory line work...at least that's the idea

thread post photo

Serpentine belt set up. Note that the PS pump and AC comp are swapped from the factory positions.

thread post photo

My tangled web that should be mostly be gone soon!

thread post photo

Check out the factory "header" vs. the Pacesetter header:

thread post photo

EGR Valve blocked off:

thread post photo

Going in just a bit to drop off the headers and have a down pipe added to the factory one. The line that attaches to it, mentioned earlier, is for the EGR valve, but it is no longer on the motor so it's "not needed", but the connection and line will be left intact anyway by using the stock "header".

May get some plumbing and wiring done this evening.

Yes the inside of my engine compartment is dirty as heck, and I wish I could clean it...and will later, but for now the goal is simply to get her going and on the road again.

Picked up the exhaust just a bit ago, $50! Picked up gear oil for the tranny, a new clutch slave, oil, and ordered my new tank sending unit...to be picked up in just a bit.

As for the PS reservoir, I'll hunt through the "many" vehicles at the in-laws. Some Volvo's, Mercedes, and Vettes have remote ones, so we've got all 3 of those kind of vehicles out there. If I need to go to the JY for one, I'll pull one from a Maxima...we had a 1990 and I liked that lil reservoir.

Btw, remember how I wanted to do swap for around a $1000? Well, uh, that will be blown out the water by the end of this. $1,500 in the motor, then add in a FP, a Rad fan, and various other items, and there will be near $2000 in this thing. But if all goes well, it will be well worth it I believe.

Did the wiring tonight. Removed the computer and all its wiring. That was fun lol. Ended up with just the windshield wiper motor left coming from the grommet on the passenger side of the truck. Mounted the relay box, and put the battery end on the wire. It was nice and easy hooking up the MS stuff, like I said, he made it pretty much plug and play for me.

The power steering hose flaring worked great. Going to the JY tomorrow to find me a reservoir, and then we'll get it hooked up the rest of the way. As for the AC, the hose ends are different, so we'll have to figure out somethinDid the wiring tonight.

Pics!!!

Before wiring:

thread post photo

After:

thread post photo

Here you see the wiper motor wires, in black tape, which is all that is left of the factory wiring on this side. The gray wires are for the MS, and the vacuum line for the MS is seen. I had to cut the grommet to fit the MS connector through it, but once I put the grommet back you can't tell

thread post photo

Besides running 2 wires to the 80 AMP main fuse, and removing the old wires there, these 3 connectors are all that I had to plug into the harness for the motor.

thread post photo

The old AC connectors vs. the new connectors:

thread post photo

I did get to clean up that fender a bit before doing the wiring so it looks a LOT better. Still have to do the FP, which will wire to the black box which has my relays in it, the rad fan, put on my exhaust manifold, drive shaft back in, and replace the clutch slave.

Power steering done today. U-joint done today. Water lines hooked up today.

Power steering reservoir from a 1990 Maxima:

Well more progress tonight, but no pics this time. All goals for the night met. Clutch salve, exhaust manifold, and drive shaft mounted. We also dropped the fuel tank and installed the new sending unit, and are now prepped to install the fual pump tomorrow. After that, put the Rad back in and mount the electric fan and besides fluids, she'll be ready to rumble again. I'm shooting for Saturday, but we'll see how things go!

Everything is in, and we did turn the engine over tonight. Got a bunch of fuel leaks, I think cuz I got 3/8" hose and the lines are all 5/16". The pump called for 3/8" suction and for some reason, stupid me bought more 3/8" than 5/16". So I had a number of leaks from that. Will fix that problem tomorrow.

MSD pump is a bit loud, but when the trucks running I'm not sure how much I'll hear it. The electric fan install is cool. We did some bolts through the shroud to make it more stable...pop-in law's engineering. Decided we're just going to run it on a switch instead of temp switch. I'll have to hear it all the time, but most of the time I'd hear it anyway.

Praying that the beast lives tomorrow!!!

I'll upload pics of the FP and fan tomorrow possibly.

Here's my fan:

thread post photo

It's ALIVE!!!!! Yep, today at about 6:30PM we finished it. Minus some minor buttoning up for me to do, clean up, and getting the exhaust tied together Monday, the HotDawg is HOT again

The Bongo arrived at about 7PM last Saturday, and she was made alive around 6:30PM this Saturday. One week.

My only complaint is that the FP is loud lol. It's just a whine sound, but it's there...and it lets you know if lol. I can live with it. All in all, the most important thing is she's running again and have my truck back! No more noise from the "rearend" either, it was just my center joint apparently.

Once it's cleaned up, I'll post pics and do a video eventually.

Just got the exhaust done...wow what a difference in the noise level lol. Sound is sweet. It's not as bubbly as the 8-valve was, but it's not ricey either. It reminds me almost of the 350Z sound...really. It's actually quieter than it was with the 8 valve as well...not a bad thing.

As for power, by the seat of the pants, I can't say I feel much more torque, but she does get to speed a bit easier it seems. The feel of the pants thing could just be because I've not driven it in a month and been driving the 3.5L Altima

Hearing the fuel pump inside the vehicle is not that bad, but I would like for it to be quieter outside...you hear the whine of it pretty good on that side...my exhaust is on the driver's side, and the FP on the pass side. Pop in-law thinks we should just let it hang instead of leaving it mounted to the frame...of course we'd tie it up or something, but it can't move much cuz it's very short lines attached. I may try to find more/softer rubber to put behind it some and see if that helps.

I need to raise the idle a bit, it's just under 500 RPM and when I first hit the pedal it has a slight stumble. Coming to a stop I almost think the thing dies lol cuz it gets so quiet.

New fuel sending unit works! For the first time ever, I can see my fuel level!

All in all, I'm happy. Will check the tunning one of these days, and get my o2 sensor/gauge, but I'm happy for now. Can't wait to check the fuel mileage on it.

Still got some cleaning to do, then pics, and vid. Don't worry I know!

EDIT*** Ok, I hadn't "gotten on it" much when I first posted this. What I see now is this baby likes the upper RPM range. Above 3500 she pulls pretty dag on good. Not gonna win many races, but she pulls more than the 8 valve did, and sounds mean with the cold air intake lol. I adjusted the idle to about 750 as well, I like it better, but may lower it a tad...like 700 or so.

Photos fellas!

thread post photo

thread post photo

Still need to wire my horns
paparoach1983   +1y
dam man that is pretty sick
elbine69   +1y
Yeah thats a pretty cool swap.
Page 1 of 1