threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Engine Swaps \  Probe gt engine in a 91 B2200 good, bad??????

Probe gt engine in a 91 B2200 good, bad??????

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3191
replies 2
following 3

91custom2200   +1y
I got a 91 B2200 of one of my buddies but he over heated the engine and I have removed it from the truck and I was wondering if it was a good idea or not overly difficult to put a turbo probe engine in my truck???

Thanks for the help.
jimbeater   +1y
yes it has been done, and will be done again...hehehe. there are a few ways to go about it, anywhich way you have to slightly modify something. search F2T (mazda mx6/626 gt/probe 2.2 lt turbo engine)
slo_nlo   +1y
Yeah. It's been done more than once anyway. Not a HUGE amount of info on the internet about it, but there is a LOT of speculation, so don't take ANYTHING as fact until you verify it yourself.

I'm doing the swap right now, and this is the thread I'm following. Haven't found any misinformation in this guy's build yet. Seems to be the best writeup out there on this swap.

I'd also refer to this site for info on running megasquirt with this swap. It also has a great bit of info on using the stock distributor to get a crank RPM signal for MS to use. If you go this route, you don't need to put a pickup and -1 sprocket on your crankshaft which saves you some time, money, and fabrication headache.

A quick rundown I made in another thread about some of the issues to deal with:

- you have to flip the turbo
- flip upper intake plenum (which leads to modifying throttle cable as well)
- you have to swap over the F2 oil pan and pickup as the F2T will interfere with your steering (you are putting a motor that was originall a transverse FWD application to a longitudina RWD application)
- you will need to swap alternators (or just the pulley) or the crank pulley. The pulleys are different between the F2T and the F2, so you need the pulleys on both to match up or your belt will not last if it works at all
- the distributor on the F2T is at the back of the engine and it will hit your firewall so you either have to run megasquirt with spark control to eliminate the distributor altogether, OR you will have to cut out a place in the firewall for clearance, or massage it back about 1"
- you will need to run the B2200 transmission, using a B2200 clutch and flywheel. The stock one WILL NOT stand up to the new motor, so you have a couple options. Centerforce makes a 6puck clutch for the B2200, this will work but is pricey. Your next option is to use a clutch from 626 with a stage 2 clutch. This is easier option solely because there are more people who make performance clutches for the 626 than there are who make them for the B2200. The stock V6 clutch will not hold the torque of the F2t however so you still require a stage 2 clutch. The F2T clutch won't fit inside your bellhousing which is why the V6 or the B2200 ones ar your only options.
Page 1 of 1