Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Swaps \  k-series engine in b-series truck

k-series engine in b-series truck

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4892
replies 14
following 8

midnightcamaro   +1y
anyone ever tried swapping a mazda k-series engine in a b-series. just wondering bout tryin a turbo on one, since there all short stroke. but from what ive looked around so far i cant find any info on if some other tranny type would bolt up. i think the k-series only came in front wheel drive cars so im wondering if a straight drive RWD tranny would work.
suicide   +1y
are you talking about the k series out of a acura rsx or thenew civic si? if so they are all front wheel drive cars. it would be a sick swap but i wouldimagine it would be a pain in the a$$ to get it to fit.
midnightcamaro   +1y
na i was talking bout the mazda k-series, like a kj-zem, or kl. dont know much about any of them, i found a car locally for cheap, that has a k8 in it, it was mx-3 with a v-6 didnt know they made them with a v-6 so got to doin some research and thats when i found the rest of the k family. i was kinda wondering bout that k8. its a 1.8L DOHC v-6. crazy. yea as far as i can tell so far all these engines are in front wheel drive cars. was just wondering if i could find a straight drive for a rear wheel drive that would work with one of the k-series engines.
jmzcustomz (jeff)   +1y

There is a truck with a Honda motor in it. Pretty friggin sick!!! Not sure if the S2000 is front wheel drive or not but hey it is a nice swap.
mazdawg(mikey)   +1y

s2000 is rear wheel drive. truck is pretty sick.
midnightcamaro   +1y
damn that is sick. why didnt i think of that. it would be awhile before i could tackle a project like that i think the s2000 engine is a lil outta my price range. btw thanks for the article
matth0le   +1y
Check out this link:

Some cool projects with the K series engine.

You should be able to use a MPV transmission (rear wheel drive) in our trucks with a K series V6. Would not be a drop in though.

Matt
midnightcamaro   +1y
wow thanks man that looks to have some good info, just gave it a glance over will read through it all when i have more time. thanks again. so you think the mpv tranny would work? did it have a k series engine, cause i found a list last night and it didnt list the mpv on there and the site you gave me didnt either. i originally wanted to do a fe3 but ran across the k-series, just wanna make sure whatever route i go i can find components to fit. already done a good bit of research on the fe3's still may go that route for now for simplicity, but would kind of like to try something different too.
matth0le   +1y
Just looked up the J and K series engines on Wiki. The J is 90 degree V6 in the MPV and K is 60 degree front drive config. I was totally mistaken about the MPV powertrain. I thought the MPV had the K series engine. Don't think the K series engine will bolt to any rear drive transmissions.

Matt
mazdatweaker   +1y
post deleted
Post was last edited on May 13, 2009 02:05. This post has been edited 1 times.