Page 1 of 1
Mazda Interior \  Ignition Switch Question

Ignition Switch Question

Mazda Interior Mazda Tech
views 893
replies 6
following 4

matt1094   +1y
I bought a new ignition switch for my 90 B2200 M/T because the old one rung off inside. I noticed that one of the pigtails on the old harness wasn't plugged in. The white one that runs to the little box pictured below. What is this and where should the pigtail be. Also whats the best way to access the other pigtails. they don't hang down any farther than the colum so they are going to be difficult to plug in.
Cusser   +1y
I replaced my B2200 ignition switch electrical part, was about 15 years ago. I remember that the replacement switch (dealer only back then) didn't have the two little pushnuts, Ace Hardware did. Anyway, I just reached underneath while lying on my back (I was 15 years younger then, understand). Now - the way I've read things - the easist way is to remove the instrument cluster and work through the hole.

For that, you must release the clip inside the engine compartment retaining the speedometer cable, and then pull the bezel (4 screws), and then the 4 retaining screws. Then with the loosened cable you'll be able to pull the cluster towards you and unclip the wiring harnesses and speedometer cable attachments.
matt1094   +1y
thread post photo

What is this though?
sincitylocal   +1y
I believe that's the "key in" buzzer switch.
matt1094   +1y

Ah makes sense. I'll just leave it off that is true. I remove buzzers anyway
scotch   +1y
You can separate it from the main ignition harness and remove it altogether. Or you can install it but leave it unplugged at the harness connecter. If you do that, make sure the truck harness side connecter is secure - it has battery power on one of the two terminals. Or, you can install it, connect it, and then remove the buzzer itself from the little relay bank above the driver side kick panel - it's usually black. That way, you or the next owner could quickly and easily just plug the buzzer back in if you ever wanted it.
matt1094   +1y

Every vehicle I've ever owned I have removed the buzzer. Already took the one out of the mazda. Thing is I don't see the harness to plug in the key in box to begin with. Guess someone else had unplugged it before as well
Page 1 of 1