Page 1 of 1
Mazda Interior \  Another seat thread... need some advice

Another seat thread... need some advice

Mazda Interior Mazda Tech
views 895
replies 4
following 2

mercilessltd   +1y
In my '87 B2200, it came with bucket seats. From the looks of others at the junkyard, they're stock B seats, but put in to replace a bench.

When removing the center seatbelts, one of the bolts on the rear of the seat snapped off for the passenger seat (too much rust). First, beyond drilling and re-tapping, any ideas? Maybe drill and replace with another bolt? What sort of access do I have to the bottom?

I've also noticed that the front left bolt of the driver seat, while appearing to be tight, moves up and down about a half inch when getting in (when your pressuring the back of the seat while getting in, you feel the front of the seat pull up slightly). I noticed that the mounting point for the seat is raised off of the floor, and apparently the bolt does not go all the way through the floor. Again, any ideas here is appreciated on how to access the nut or whatever is on the backside of the bolt.
91extcab   +1y
Check the bolts that hold the seats to the actual rails, if those are loose that could cause the lifting of the corner of the seat, hard to really pinpoint the issue without personally looking at it. Do you have a welder?, if there is still access to the bolt that is stuck still threaded in, you can try welding a nut onto the remaining part of the snapped bolt, then use a wrench or socket to finish removing the broken stud. I've seen it done before and couldn't believe I'd never thought of that trick.
mercilessltd   +1y

I like your idea, but unfortunately, no. The bolt snapped just below the floor, right where the threads start. Does this bolt go through the floor? Can I access the rear of it from under the truck? Perhaps there are threads poking out the reverse side of the nut. Hit that side with the welder.
91extcab   +1y
I believe they do go thru the floor and should be somewhat easy to access from underneath if you jack the truck up. If you do that and have some of the bolt still sticking thru the bottom you could always find a nut that threads on, and weld it to the bolt you are trying to get out, then un bolt as normal. This trick may still work for you.

The way the hump is for the front seats, iirc you need to pull some of the carpet, or cut yourself an access flap if there isn't one, then there are some holes already cut open in the hump that can be accessed once the carpet is out of the way. Those "nuts" are supposed to be either spot welded to the cab, or perma attached to the floor hump in some way, but you could figure something out. You might have to unbolt the seat from the rails in order to have room to work under the seat and get the bolt out... Or you could try to either sawzall the bolt head off or grind/cut it off with a grinder and the appropriate disc, then replace however you want.
mercilessltd   +1y
Ok thx. I'll look tonight.
Page 1 of 1