Page 1 of 1
Mazda Interior \  stupid gauge light question

stupid gauge light question

Mazda Interior Mazda Tech
views 830
replies 4
following 4

d-finn   +1y
I have a 91 b2200 and my gauge cluster lights don't work besides the brake lights (that's a hole differnt issue). We checked the fuses, they are still ok. Any info would help. Thanks
dan woodland   +1y
Bad dash light dimmer, broken wire or bad light switch (on the steering column)???
Cusser   +1y

First -IMPORTANT, could be dangerous - turn on the lights, and see if the tail lights (and parking lights) operate when the instrument cluster lights are off.
If so, then the light switch itself (in the combination switch on the steering console) is OK. If so, then you need to check for voltage coming out of your dimmer wheel switch on the dashboard, these can go out over time. You should get positive voltage into the switch, but none out, if the switch is bad and the wheel is rolled to "on" or brightest. If good, there will be positive voltage getting through that.

If when switched to on the tail lights and parking lights are not coming on when the cluster lights are off, that could be a light switch part of the combination switch, you absolutely need tail lights. Those light switches are available from AutoZone special order for about $60, they screw into the rear of the combination switch, 3 screws.

If it does turn out to be a bad dimmer wheel, I've got several used ones available in gray and one in tan, PM with offer.
crawleyb2200   +1y
i had a similar problem with my tail lights. Tails would work then when i hit brakes they would all go out and vice versa. Signals would turn onn reverse lights and reverse lights would turn on brake lights and so forth. Lucky for me I had to replace the box on the truck anyways so I had it off. Turned out each side of the wiring harness running up the frame rails had a bad ground. Ran a new ground on each side and it works perfectly ever since.
Cusser   +1y
On my own '88 B2200, when the instrument panel lights went out, the tail lights and parking lights also went out, creating a danger situation. In my case it was definitely a bad light switch itself, in that steering column combination switch.

Note that there are at least two types of light switches, look very similar, you should check yours first to see what it looks like if it's bad.

AutoZone SW2691 has grouping of four terminals in upper left of this photo
thread post photo

AutoZone SW2692 has grouping of FIVE terminals at top of this photo (this photo is rotated 90 degrees)
thread post photo

Is one type always white and one type always black? I don't know.
Page 1 of 1