Page 1 of 2
Mazda Interior \  Buckets to bench?

Buckets to bench?

Mazda Interior Mazda Tech
views 1849
replies 19
following 8

crazymikey   +1y
My 83 has buckets and the stupid things are so small I feel so cramped inside. I have a bench seat I want to install, but the seat mounts and tracks and everything look totally differenyt. Not like the 86-93 where benches and buckets are interchangable.

How do I go about swapping without needing to do lots of fabbing?
sierrax   +1y
Use the outside rails from the bucket seats (Drivers seat left outer rail and the passenger right outer rail) and try them on the bench seat.
crazymikey   +1y
I'll try that sometime and report back. Sounds like it'll work, cuz it doesn't look like the bench will bolt in with the stock bench rails.
toddluck   +1y
bench seats in these trucks put ya pretty high and take up to much room imo
suicide   +1y
bench seats are generally taller then buckets. i like them better personally.
crazymikey   +1y
With the buckets you seem to sit straight up and I just can't get comfortable in the cab. The 2 trucks I have with factory benches are much more comfortable for me to sit in and seems like there's more room. I am definetly not a fan of the pre 86 buckets. Terrible seats IMO. It's like they squeeze you. I always have a sore back by the time I get to where I'm going.
blownvq   +1y
I got a set of MX3 seats and moved the sliders over from my 92 buckets. Was lucky enough to buy a BRAND NEW set of OEM seatcovers off a dealer on ebay...Work AWESOME...Will take pics.
crazymikey   +1y
the 86-93 buckets seem like theyd work well in there too. I put one in my parts truck and sat in it and it was way better than the 84 buckets. But I'm still wanting to go with the bench. So much more room.

I hate the buckets. They make me feel like I'm always sitting forward and the side bolsters just dig into my sides. They're like racing seats.
maztang (ryan)   +1y
did you get the bench installed? i love my bench seat! whoever had the truck before me put buckets in it but i love a bench so i installed the bench and because of the tunnel i had to raise it up an inch. mine originally had a bench seat so i don't know what the buckets even look like.
crazymikey   +1y
I might get around to fiddling with the bench tomorrow. The mounts are completely different, so like SierraX said, maybe I need to use the outside tracks from the buckets.

The buckets look good, but they're just too small. I just did a 1200km and 10 hour road trip this weekend in the 83 and it was NOT comfortable.

Here's my buckets. Look how freakin clean that interior is!
thread post photo

thread post photo

This is the black bench I'm putting into my red project truck
thread post photo

And this is the blue bench I want to put in the silver daily
thread post photo