threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Interior \  How to remove ignition from 84?

How to remove ignition from 84?

Mazda Interior Mazda Tech
views 1540
replies 18
following 7

crazymikey   +1y
The 84 I bought from the wreckers doesnt have a key. I need to remove the ignition and grab the ignition and key from the other truck at the wreckers.

I can't figure out how the hell to remove the ignition. Any help?

Thanks
immortal1 (linn)   +1y
I could give you some ideas on an 86-93 but have never had the privilege of working (or even touching) a pre 86.

I know on my truck you have to strip off all the plastic parts and I think the steering wheel to get to all the fasteners.
crazymikey   +1y
Turns out its riveted on and they need to be cut or have a slot ground into them to unscrew them.
immortal1 (linn)   +1y

Wow - that blows. Guess they were pretty serious about keeping the original switch in the truck.
paparoach1983   +1y
i thought they were all riveted in cuz my 89 and the 91 were like that.
mazdatweaker   +1y
If you ave good angle / access, and a sharp pointed chistle, sometimes you can tap it loose with a hammer.

Loose enough to get a pair of pliers or vise grips on it.
immortal1 (linn)   +1y
Good advice Tweaker, did not think of that one.
mazdatweaker   +1y

:)
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
in my exerince with removing an igniton out of an 89 b2600i, i had to remove plastic, steering wheel and guage cluster, then used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut slots into the rivits then used a flat head screw driver to remove them....
crazymikey   +1y
yeah I think thats what I have to do. Looks like a bit of a pain though. The rivets are on top and slightly angled towards the dash. Oh well, I'll give it a shot tomorrow.