Page 1 of 2
Mazda Exterior \  rust n rot!!!! im screwed in need of advice asap

rust n rot!!!! im screwed in need of advice asap

Mazda Exterior Mazda Tech
views 1638
replies 13
following 3

xxchromeghostxx   +1y
So i found a spot rusted out on my drivers seat left front bolt hole. It doesnt seem rotted to far around the rest is, seems, sturdy. But what would be a good route in repairing this

Now i cant weld but thats what friends are for. i know how to work sheetmetal. So my question is am i screwed or can this be fixed? And if so please any info is appreciated size sheetmetali need (thickness) and everything an anything to do or need to fix this asap thank you all ahead time.
mymmeryloss   +1y
Post pics.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Will tomorrow
anguswilly   +1y
It can be repaired but in order to provide proper safety, you will ned to adhere to proper auto body repair techniques.

You may want to cut the patch much larger than the affected area and install it on the outside (bottom) of the floor so there is less chance of the patch pulling off in an accident.

Make sure you clean the area to be welded 100% of any rust, paint or undercoating - and make sure your "friends" can do REALLY good welds, I would consider spot welding it in even, or drilling holes through the top panel so you can weld it from the top as well.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
He is a welder by trade for a local specialty car shop, i cant afford to have it taken in there byt he will do.the work provided i buy the parts.

It is about a 3-4 inch hole right where the front left bolt on the drivers seat goes, im thinking on fully removing the seat an just cutting that area of the carpet out, unless some can advise on how to pull just this carpeted area away without fully removing the carpeting. Yes id rather not cut an immaculate carpeting but safety over purty is a priority and carpet can always be replaced a life cannot. The rest of the cab isnt rusted that bad but this spring i plan on sanding down therust on frame and cab and adhering a protective undercoating to both.

The frame is slightly rusted but solid i gave.it a thorough (sp?) Checking over once i seen this apot. Other than this hole and some on the drivers rockers it is hole free.

I will be getting pics once it warms up.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
So looking for advice on what thickness of sheet metal i should use to replace the area under my seat bracket. Im not gonna just guess and have no clue myself
mymmeryloss   +1y
18 ga
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Thanks, also will i have to drill a hole to remount the bolt not very sure been snowing to much to get under again to look at the other side,
anguswilly   +1y
It will be much better (and easier) to cut a piece from a clean truck.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Thanks Angus, but thats not an option for me. No trucks in junkyards nearby, closest one is 4 hours away. So im gonna have to fab it myself and hope for the best.