Page 1 of 1
Mazda Exterior \  removing rear windshield.need help

removing rear windshield.need help

Mazda Exterior Mazda Tech
views 819
replies 4
following 5

mazdalover   +1y
I wanted to know how do i remove my 3 piece rear window and install my 1 piece if you guys could give me some help or advice thanks
bruce   +1y
Not sure about the 3 piece, ive only ever removed and re-installed a one piece. But i used a couple of screwdrivers to pull the rubber seal at one of the corners and slowly worked my way around pulling it out with someone on the inside just in case. Takes a bit of time pushing and pulling the rubber but it gets easier as you go along. To put it back in we ran a thick piece of string (thin rope) down the channel of the rubber, set the window up in one corner and pressed against the window while pulling the rope out to work the seal around the metal surround of the cab. May take a couple tries to get it going smoothly
Cusser   +1y
If the new window has its own seal, cut the old seal to remove the window (it's old anyway). All window installation is easier with a new seal.

Anyway, look at YouTube for window installations, the string/fishing line tip is usually employed. Lubricate the seal with liquid detergent/water, glycerin, KY and work the lip around using the string. Easier once you've seen it.

My daughter and I did this on the rear of a VW Convertible - that was tough, as the frame is part of the top, so not stationary.
ulrich   +1y
Cusser is spot on.

If you do wish to save the original seal - take your time, work it out a little at a time. Use a variety if putty knives, and a tiny pry bar.

Pity you weren't around when I replaced my solid glass with a slider, we could have traded.
dan woodland   +1y
It is possible to save the old window gasket if you want. It would work best with two people, one pushing on the window edge while the other works the gasket.

Start in the corner prying the gasket toward you while the other person puts pressure on the unit to hold the "position" you just accomplished by prying out the gasket. Also, start form the inside. Basically you are curling the inside gasket toward you. once you get the entire end of the window loose you can start to pull on it form the bed area.

Hope that helps, if not i can rewrite this quick wire-up. Dan
Page 1 of 1