Page 1 of 1
Mazda Audio \  FIBERGLASS DASH HELP

FIBERGLASS DASH HELP

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 1102
replies 7
following 6

dangersoulylow   +1y
Wanting to fiberglass my dashboard and make it all pretty lol, but yeah for real i want to and have no clue how to. has anyone done this and can provide direction. Thanks
baha   +1y
Have you ever done any fiberglass work before? I would just buy some fiberglass cloth and resin then start playing around.

Another option would be to paint your dash, probably a lot easier but please don't use spray paint.
lowlyfe   +1y

Actually we used Krylon Fusion satin black on our project's dash as a temp deal to make it look nice and it turned out really well. cleaned, prepped and painted. Got quite a few compliments at it's first show

Dangerous, what are you actually wanting to do to it? Add stuff, change shape or just smooth it out? FG is pretty easy just messy stuff. I'm no pro but I have been building stuff with it lately.
dangersoulylow   +1y
i have not done it before. I was going to grab one from the junk yard and try. I wanted to change the shape a little bit and retain the same gauges, or just stick with the stock shape. I wanted to fiberglass the door panes to.
schreff   +1y
I have a dash available if your close to PA.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
lowlyfe   +1y
Id recommend watching all the youtube videos that you can on fiberglassing first to get a good idea of how to work with the stuff then start a small project.
fdugn545   +1y
Fiberglassing is actually quite easy, but it is messy and very time Consuming but worth it. I agree with the above replies and coming from someone who also had never 'glassed anything I will say that YouTube is your friend. I watched hundreds of vids about it and it helped some when I first started. I'm currently learning (myself) how to do parts in carbon fibre.

If u ever need any tips. Don't be shy!

Fred
robert_paulsen   +1y
ive watched a couple buddies lay mat and lay the resin over it, to my understanding of the process, its best to follow the directions on mixing ratios or it will turn into a hockey puck or a possible chemical fire. this stuff with to much hardener gets VERY hot.

basically if you can mix it you can lay it, it does itch like crazy when sanding so wear gloves, long sleeves and a mask.

depending on how crazy you get on reshaping the dash, consider looking into building a mdf frame like they do for subwoofer boxes, use fleece, a staple gun to secure the fleece, fiberglass (confetti) or the shredded stuff cant remember its exact name, or cut a mat into strips, coat both sides of the strips then lay it down on your area your reinforcing. the fleece once coated in resin gets nice and hard but reinforcement of a layer or two never hurts.

if your attaching to plastic rough it up really good or it may not stay attached long term.

if your just modifying the dash like shaving vents for the defroster, or other items,ive seen people take a epoxy after roughing up the area and attach a filler panel from plastic, plexi and even mdf. ive seen filler panels get epoxied into the dash to fill areas then sanded smooth, body filler if necessary for additional smoothing then sanding the entire dash spraying a bulldog adhesion promoter for plastics and then primer and paint. just remember something like a 40 grit is a bit rough or excessive unless your planning on using multiple coats of feather fill on the dash.

in most cases you can do alot of things in many different ways but what you want done will kind of dictate what you want done. fiberglass is prone to cracking so reinforcement is never a bad idea.
Page 1 of 1