Page 1 of 1
Mazda Audio \  shifter knob issue

shifter knob issue

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 1331
replies 9
following 7

bottemedout   +1y
So I went to the local part store and bought a universal shift knob. My problem is it won't stay on.
Cusser   +1y
Were there adapters for this shift knob? Maybe it was SAE thread and your Mazda is metric.

I have a standard shift knob available (5-speed, gray), PM with offer if interested.

If you want to use what you've got, you need to get an adapter, or lube up the knob threads and try JB Weld. But even with the lube, that JB Welded knob may end up being permanent.
bottemedout   +1y
Its not a thread on, its got the 3 little screws, I think I'm going to epoxy a sleeve in it and tap it.
itizmyne   +1y
I hate those ones, they never seem to work right. My old CRX had that, shift and the thing would fall apart. Almost drilled a hole through the shift know and shifter and put a bolt through it.
jiffyzx6   +1y
I got one off of ebay (sick speed or something like that) it fits perfectly and doesn't move once I put it on. Has a thread adapter that comes with it and works well. I will never use the ones with the set screws again, always end up wanting to throw it out the Window
ulrich   +1y

My Mooneyes knob had a 1/16" pilot hole. I had to drill it to the correct size. I just forced it on creating threads as I went. works fine.
bottemedout   +1y
I like the one that I have, just gatta figure out how to make it work without making it perminant.
himynameischance   +1y
Does anyone know what threads the stock shifter is? Also maybe what threads a beer tap may be? thanks
Cusser   +1y

Fill hole with JB Weld, then when dry, tap to the correct thread pitch, and screw on. A nut underneath it should hold the new knob in the correct orientation.
mazdizzle   +1y

It's a 10x1.25 thread
Page 1 of 1