threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Audio \  Steering wheel removal (horn pad)

Steering wheel removal (horn pad)

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 3122
replies 8
following 4

chinpokumon   +1y
I've tried doing searches both on Google and here. I've got a 1987 B2200 with the square MAZDA center section horn pad, and the two spoke style wheel.

I am trying to replace my steering wheel and would prefer not to destroy the stock one when I remove it. I know there are two screws on the back side of the wheel, but it seems like something is still holding it on! Do I just pull on the center section? Does it just "clam shell" onto the center section? I read that there were 4 screws holding the cover on ... I only found two.

Thanks for any help.
lsumazdarider   +1y
Theres 4 on back two close to the wheel grip two close to the center of the wheels I broke a few till I found them steering wheel nut 21mmif this will help good luck
Cusser   +1y
There are four screws, Phillips head. Two are kind of tricky, turn the wheel and use a mirror if you need to. i can't remember if I used a stubby or pulled off the cluster for more access the first time.

If the current steering wheel is decent, someone will buy it if it's in good condition. I sold my original B2200 SW but it was in perfect shape.
chinpokumon   +1y
Ahhh ... I think I know the problem. The previous owner has a couple millimeters of electrical tape on the "spokes" covering the horn buttons. So there are probably two under all that tape, huh? I'll have to cut all that off and see if that's where they are! Thank you so much for the replies!!
befarrer   +1y
I just removed my steering wheel, I had 2 screws holding my horn pad in, and I had to pry off the square mazda emblem in the middle out (it wedges in there and meant to be removed), and take the steering wheel nut off before I could remove my center pad. I have the ugly 2 spoke steering wheel with square horn pads (that I always accidentally hit), and square mazda emblem.
chinpokumon   +1y
BEFARRER .... I think you figured out what I was trying to do!! I too removed the center (pressed in) MAZDA emblem and did know about and remove the two screws behind the horn pad (the hard to find ones). I will get that nut off the hub and I'm hoping that will release it.

Thanks again for everyone helping me out. I'm slowly but surely replacing almost everything on this B2200. My "good deal" is starting to turn into just a "fair deal" on my truck! LOL
Cusser   +1y
Yeah, but look how much you've learned, Chipmunk !!!
chinpokumon   +1y

HA!! Very true oh wise one! I think the previous owner either hid all of the "problems" well, or karma is biting me in the ass for some reason. Seriously though ... as I replace one part, another one lets go ... then I replace a part for fun/performance and find 2 or 3 previously unknown issues. Don't get me wrong, I actually like wrenching on stuff - it's just kinda funny how the Mazda rolls!

Now the brake master cylinder is leaking (obviously because I just replaced the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder)! LOL
Cusser   +1y
Chip - I've had my '88 B2200 Cab Plus for 18.5 years, it's my daily driver. Sure, over the years I've replaced clutch cylinders numerous times, clutch brake cyl a few times, even rebuilt a caliper once.

But overall my truck has been pretty reliable, you;ll find that out. And it is FUN driving it.

I also have its replacement (2004 Frontier) purchased, plus a '98 Frontier; both get better mileage, and have more power and are reliable. But guess which one I like driving the most ????
Page 1 of 1