threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Audio \  universal fuel gauge using stock sending unit?

universal fuel gauge using stock sending unit?

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 3764
replies 9
following 5

matt88brewer   +1y
is this compatible with my stock sending unit?? if not anyone know of a gauge that is. from what ive read a fuel level gauge for our trucks measures ohms or resistance depending on the "float" in the tank.thanks
Cusser   +1y
That's how most/all of sending units work: a varying resistance as the float arm travels.
matt88brewer   +1y
Ok so is that an affirmative on the gauge....?lol
kovz   +1y
I don't know how the stock sending unit would pair up that that gauge. The needle probably wouldn't be accurate.

From the 1988 factory manual, section 15 page 14:
Empty: 103-117 ohms
Half full 28.5 - 36.5 ohms
Full 1 - 5 ohms

That ad says the gauge is:
Empty: 240 ohms
1/2: 130 ohms
Full: 33 ohms
matt88brewer   +1y
This is true... any advice on what to do tp have a gauge
kovz   +1y
What's wrong with your factory gauge?

Why not use the aftermarket sending unit instead of the stock?
matt88brewer   +1y
I have a fiberglass dash. So the factory gauges are nonexistent. Lol
applianceguy   +1y
New Fuel Sending Unit Mazda B2600 Truck 88 87 B2200 93 92 91 90 89 B2000 86 1988
" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I bought this one off e-bay. I cannot get it to post for some reason.

It is accurate.
I used the Cusser method to replace it.

i.e, I lifted the bed up enough to get it in there. I did have to loosen the front of the tank, and drop the rear bolts, but I did not have to drop the Tank. Accurate read on this one.

Thanks Cusser!

p.s,
Oh, Never mind.., I see you are trying to use a different gauge.
fdugn545   +1y
just use photobucket man its way eaiser
Cusser   +1y

Wow. I've R&R'd the sending unit on mine 3 times over the years, and never touched the gas tank mounting bolts.

I had seen a made-in-China sending unit, even ordered one through AutoZone (think there's only one replacement unit - sold by all, and the factory one). The one that arrived was defective, measured its ohms in the store as I moved the float arm, had "open" regions where the contact obviously wasn't touching, so I never took it. My guess is that most of those units were likely fine, I just got one that was below par. But since it was my daily driver, I had to seal it up somehow, that's when I bent mine, which then worked for a few years. Because there are different senders for cab Plus, regular cab, etc., I wanted to match up to my own for configuration at the store.

Later I got a new factory sender from Dan Atkins.
Page 1 of 1