Page 1 of 1
Mazda Audio \  Big 3 upgrade

Big 3 upgrade

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 2140
replies 9
following 6

eddiep23   +1y
Has anybody ever done this on their B? once I get the material I might do a write up on it plus a bigger alt...
baha   +1y
Check out this write up in the tech write ups by members. It is for the alternator.

eddiep23   +1y
Awesome! so i guess that just leaves the "big 3" lol
sahankaface   +1y
i just did the GM 1 wire alt and it was pritty easy to do and it gave me 120 amps
eddiep23   +1y
how much is a gm 1 wire vs a ranger 130amp?
89mazdalade   +1y
gm 1 wire is dirt cheap got 2 of em off ebay chrome 120 amp for like 78 bux shipped still goin strong i found a chrome cobra 160 amp for 179.99 what i plan on gettin for my b2200 they even got a 250 chrome cobra alt for 259.99
lowlyfe   +1y
I havent done it, but I'm going to do it with 1/0 cable on my brother's Mazda after we get the 4link done. We also plan on upgrading the alternator as well so thanks for linking the tech artical Baha.

I did however do the Big 3 on my Tbird, all with 1/0 cable. I even did a double run of 1/0 coming off of my 280amp alternator. I can say it made a big difference from the small stock cables.
Just make sure ALL of your connections are clean and tight also make sure your grounds are attatched to bare metal. Some people say to just leave the stock cables and run the new ones along with them but I took my stock ones out and replaced all of them since the electricity will follow the path of least resistance anyway (your new larger cables) and the old cables looked bad.
eddiep23   +1y
That's awesome help! My old man suggested using 1/0 welding cable since it would probably run cheaper and its the exact same thing (he used to do this for a living and won competitions). He also suggested doing a capacitor just in case
lowlyfe   +1y
Welding wire is just as good with a lower price tag. The only downside is that it's not as flexible.

As far as him reccomending a capacitor, skip that and just run a 2nd battery. Do some research on a car audio forum about a 2nd batt vs. a cap and you will see why.
If you decide to run a 2nd batt, make sure its the same type as your underhood batt ( Wet cell, gel cell or AGM) since you cannot mix them. The batteries should be close to the same age and topped off with a full charge before installing it. You can run the 2nd batt in the rear by running a paralell set of power and ground cables from the main battery.
I've got 2 XS Power AGM batteries in my project ran this way and i've got plenty of power for the system.
sincitylocal   +1y
Welding wire is fine stranded, and is always more flexible than its heavy stranded counterpart of the same gauge.
Page 1 of 1