Page 1 of 2
Mazda Audio \  Billet Steering Wheel

Billet Steering Wheel

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 4537
replies 11
following 4

tuna   +1y
Lets just say you would like to buy a billet steering wheel from a company and they don't offer a hub adapter for your Mazda. Well, I figured out a way to make a Chevy S10 hub adapter work on our trucks.

Here are a few websites that sell billet steering wheels.
billetspecialties.com
coloradocustom.com
naiser-racing.com/billet.htm

This is the wheel we are going to use.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

First, remove your stock steering wheel or get one from the wrecking yard. When you get it off it should look like this (see picture 6.)
thread post photo

thread post photo

On the back of your stock steering wheel remove all the rubber from the center, so the bare metal is exposed
thread post photo

Flip the steering wheel back over (you should be looking at the front). Now measure 1 1/2 inch from the center hole and mark it on the left and right side. Draw a vertical line where you placed your 1 1/2 inch mark. This is where you will make your two cuts.
After you had made your cuts it should look like this. (see picture 9. & 10.)
thread post photo

thread post photo

The way I cut mine it still didn't fit inside the hub adapter, so I had to make two additional cuts. After cutting off the two points it fit inside the hub.
thread post photo

Then I took a round file to the weld around the base of the cylinder. (see picture 11. & 12.)
thread post photo

thread post photo

The two smaller holes on the outside will need to be drilled out to fit the bolt through. I used a 25/64 drill bit.
Now you can have a machine shop mill the center of the billet hub, so the smaller piece will fit all the way down inside the billet hub.
Watch the video of the hub being milled on the lathe.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

Now you can put two 9/16 bolts in the center to hold your hub together.
If you end up hooking up the horn, you will need to drill a small hole to put the tab through. I put a small piece of plastic around the connection. Other wise your horn will always go off.

Here is a picture of the first one i did.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
Post was last edited on Oct 20, 2012 02:10. This post has been edited 1 times.
89mazdalade   +1y
nice write up didnt they discontinue the mazda hub adapter?
tuna   +1y
I have no idea if they discontinued it.
baha   +1y
Excellent write up! Thanks for sharing!
tuna   +1y
Your welcome
mazdamn   +1y
Am I the only person who ever used a toyota hub?
89mazdalade   +1y
hey tuna whats the style or brand of that 2nd billet wheel the half and half one?? or whatever i cant find it anywhere
tuna   +1y
Hey MazDAMN, what was the year and model Toyota did you use for the hub? Also, what brand? You are the first one I have heard using a Toyota hub on a Mazda.
Post was last edited on Oct 22, 2012 12:10. This post has been edited 1 times.
tuna   +1y
89mazdalade, The second steering wheel I posted is made by NRC and they call it TRIBAL. Here is a link to it:
89mazdalade   +1y

thank you sir!!! i fell in love with that wheel thanks again!!!