threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Audio \  Anyone who has changed gauges w/ custom dash...?

Anyone who has changed gauges w/ custom dash...?

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 1748
replies 6
following 5

greenguy83   +1y
I have been wanting to build a dash to go with my center consol I built a while ago, but don't know anything about guages. Is there a certain rateing or kind of gause I need to get that is compatable with Mazda? Or any certain kind of extensions or wirings I need to get?
I just want to make a clean sheet metal dash. I have a 1990 b2600i. Just looking for RPM, MPH, gas, and heat. Keeping it basic.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Neil
greenguy83   +1y
Awe, come on guys. I will even be happy with "what gauges did you run and did you need anything to adapt to them".
h0tr0d   +1y
i'm interested in this as well as none of my gauges work and my dash is trash and useless since i don't have heat, ac, blah blah since the body drop.
mtrain   +1y
Terrible pic, but.......

thread post photo
newbie b owner   +1y
thats clean man good work. i wish mine looked half as good as that
oo7bob   +1y
it can be done, but will require a bit of work on your part, i'll try to help one at a time

here's the dash in my mazda. all aftermarket gauges. bought them from a company called speedhut.
thread post photo

RPM - tach, most aftermarket tachs have a selector switch in them to select 4, 6, or 8 cylinders, they generally hook to the negative side of the coil, power, and ground. those 3 hookups are pretty easy.

MPH - speedo, a little tougher, but not impossible. your mazda has a gear driving the speedo, most aftermarket speedos are electronic, i believe there is a way to convert, some small electronic box by the drive shaft. mine, for example, is running a 700R4 gm automatic, and has the sensor built in.

GAS - fuel, the level is determined by an ohm reading. i do not know what the mazda is, other cars have 0-90, or 90-0,, or something. my gauge will accept any ohm rating, most others i see are specific. same simple wiring as tach, lead on fuel tank, pos, neg, done.

HEAT - temp (i guess), this is like the fuel guage, ohm reading that comes off your temp sensor, you can figure out the ohm range by heating up the sensor and note ohm range, or buy a sender that you know the range of and adapt it to fit.
greenguy83   +1y
007bob-
Thanks. That helps point me in the right direction. And I love the clean straight look of your dash. Looks like a perfect match for the straight mazda body lines.
Page 1 of 1