Page 1 of 1
Mazda Audio \  New stereo will not power on

New stereo will not power on

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 2099
replies 4
following 3

mark2.0   +1y
Truck in question is a 1990 B2200 xtr cab. Tried to install a new Alpine head unit. After taking out the old cassette player, I wired in a reverse harness so that I could plug n play the new unit. The wiring diagram I used is below.

Car Radio Constant 12V Wire: Blue/Red
Car Radio Switched 12V Wire: Red/Black
Car Radio Ground Wire: N/A Used screw under radio on frame straight from radio
Chassis Car Radio Illumination Wire: Blue/White

Car Radio Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Radio Antenna Trigger N/A
Car Radio Amp Trigger Wire: N/A

Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Blue/Red
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Blue/Yellow
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Solid Blue
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Blue/White

Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Black
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Black/White
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Red
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Red/White

Once the reverse harness was in place, I just followed the stereo wiring diagram to hook up a regular wiring harness. The main wires in question are the red wire (switch) that I ran to the red/black on the truck, the Yellow (constant) that I ran to the blue/red wire on the truck, and the orange (illumination) wire I ran to the blue/white on the truck. Grounded the black wire from the radio to a screw underneath radio housing. Same screw the old radio used, so it should be fine.

Alpine stereos have a reset button that has to be pressed before using it the first time and is recommended to be pressed after each time the battery is disconnected. I did that as well.

The radio has no power. Is there somewhere else on the truck that I need to look to make sure everything is wired correctly? I even rewired the old stereo (touched wires etc) to make sure there was still power coming in and it turned on. Makes me think the truck 's power source isn't enough for a new radio and some rewiring will have to be done. OR the head unit is defective and I need to send it back. Any thoughts?
Cusser   +1y

Man, that's just bad karma !!!!

Anyway, hopefully you're adding a NEW cassette stereo though.

I think the issue is likely with your power wires, I just went through this 2 months ago when I installed a new (CD-cassette) stereo into mine. Both the constant-on (yellow memory wire) and the 12 volt positive switched wire needed to be connected correctly for the stereo to work (I've seen stereos in the past where if the constant-on wasn't "hot", then just the memory functions would not work, but most newer ones apparently need both). So you'll need a 12 volt test light or DC voltmeter/multimeter to check out those two wires. Check out both, the switched on is likely controlled by a fuse in the fuse box labeled "Room". I blew that fuse once somehow in my installation. And make sure to check with that same test light or meter that your ground wire is actually making good ground contact as well; mine mounts directly to a screw in the body.

I've used plug-in fuse tap terminals to run additional wires from the fuse box as well. There's nothing about this truck that can't handle this.
mark2.0   +1y
PROBLEM SOLVED!

The wiring diagrams online weren't completely accurate.

The illumination wire is red/black
The ignition wire is blue/white

The diagrams I had found had these two reversed. Really easy to detect with a $6 volt tester light. Switched them to the correct way and on comes the Alpine. Ready to put the speakers in this evening.
Cusser   +1y
Great, now you can listen to oldies radio !!!
mazdawg(mikey)   +1y
Glad you got the problem fixed, and thanks for posting that you fixed it and what happened. Just incase someone else has the same issue and they search the website.
Page 1 of 1