threads
Page 1 of 3
Mazda Audio \  Output wattage, speaker size on 1987 B2000 cassette radio?

Output wattage, speaker size on 1987 B2000 cassette radio?

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 7258
replies 20
following 7

mercilessltd   +1y
I have a feeling that this thread will cause more laughter than normal, but hey, it's whatever.

So here's the deal...

I came into the truck via my father. This is a daily driver, and not a show truck. I am perfectly fine with the stock radio. I kinda like the vintage look. I only play songs from my phone so I will grab a cassette adapter and go from there. No sense in paying $50 where $10 will do.

My only problem is that the two "front" speakers have been removed, and the rear don't have any bass response. Probably stock for all I know.

I simply want just a little bass, as in I can hear the bass. Doesn't have to vibrate the truck, or even the cover. I figure some cheap 2- or 3-way speakers from Wal-Mart will work.

Questions:
1. Does the stock radio actually have any bass frequency like I want? I mean, the equalizer shows 60 Hz so I'm assuming so.
2. Just curious about the output wattage. I doubt that I'll overkill any speakers with the stock radio, but I just wanna make sure. I'm not an audio expert so this radio may be slightly above average, I really don't know.
3. What size speakers are in the front and the rear of a 1987 B2000 LX reg cab?
col. sanders   +1y
The rear speakers may be out of phase swap the pos and neg wires on one speaker and see if your bass comes back. If they are out of phase no matter what speaker you use they will sound like poo. Stock Mazda radios are like 7 watts max.
Cusser   +1y
I'm not seeing anything funny in your query about a cassette stereo at all !!!! Even if Earl and SinCity think I pressured you to ask this, or to fake this !!!

The front speakers on the underside of the dash are 4 inch, and they readily screw in. I've seen 4 inch speakers at Walmart that look to be decent for practical purposes. 4 ohms resistance is typical for auto speakers. What I'm saying is that 95% or more drivers don't need fancy-dancy speakers. I just replaced the factory door speakers on my 2004 Frontier last Saturday, now those originals were junk. I used 6.5 inch Dual #DS652 which were $30 a pair at AutoZone. In general, the larger the magnet weight (bigger magnet), the better the speaker.

I don't know what size the rear in an LX model are, but I'd add front ones first and try that way, as the rears are typically tougher to get to.

In reality, and in a mid-size truck, 10 watts per channel is probably plenty, unless you feel you need to rock the neighborhood awake.
jimbeater   +1y
'larger the magnet the better the speaker' is not necessarily true... a 1993 ford taurus SHO came factory with a JBL system with separate amplifiers for the main speakers and small sub in the trunk. the factory speakers (also JBL) actually could be mistaken to not have a magnet at all(really small)! and great sound for that year of car too. i had used the system for many km without the sub as it was blown, and still sounded really good, and i like bass.

many stock systems 2000+ sound very good. a stock Bose system in an 03 chevy silverado sounds amazing, and tons of adjust-ability.

on another note, i dont think most regular cabs came with rear speakers at all. the extended cabs have a spot behind the door, and the removable speaker plate is easily modifiable to whatever size you want (within reason).
mercilessltd   +1y
I promise you, my reg cab has speakers on the pillars between the back and door. I know this because, besides the fact there are speaker vents, my fronts are either disconnected or gone. The rears are the only ones that work. They appear to be possibly 4 in as well. They are fairly loud but like I said absolutely positively no bass.

And no, I have no monetary motivation in small specific amounts from Earl... or Sin.
cab+rider   +1y
Cusser said:
I'm not seeing anything funny in your query about a cassette stereo at all !!!! Even if Earl and SinCity think I pressured you to ask this, or to fake this !!!

I had to follow this thread to make sure.

@ MercilessLTD
Don't quote me but I think the factory rear speakers are 5" round type.
As Cusser mentioned the front are the 4" round type.
Have you tried your setup on another cassette system? Maybe the cassette adapter plays in mono only?

Have you seen the $85 Pioneer CD Receiver system at WalMart.
It comes with:
2 ea. 6.5 round speakers
2 ea. 6X9 oval speakers
1 ea. CD Receiver with mini input jacks for an ipod/MP3 and a USB port.
Thought it might interest you to change your system.
mercilessltd   +1y
Yeah, CAB+RIDER, I've actually got an extra stereo on hand that has an aux. However, I have to fit it in, usually with a $20 kit, plus the adapter or custom wiring. OR... $1.49 for a cassette adapter and keep the original look.

Also, $23 for a set of 4" 2-ways at Wal-Mart.
Cusser   +1y
OK, remember, I somewhat "known" for not being high-tech:

1. Yes, once I was having trouble with a casstte stereo for a few weeks (OK, maybe months) before I realized that the "fader" control had been moved, so my speakers (front only) weren't getting full power. No, I'm beyond embarrassmnet for electrical stuff. Remember, I've got 5 VHS recorders that work, split between two properties (and one DVD recorder) but don't have/know Tivo or DVR.

2. Yes, the Bose stereo system on Mrs. Cusser's 2005 Yukon sounds really good. However, there are about 12,672 controls for it, so not so easy to operate. Some stuff shows up on its navigation system screen, and that takes a special $250 navigation DVD disc (price to replace if lost or damaged, not able to copy). So one day while waiting for Mrs. Cusser at the grocery store, I thought I'd try to see if that system could play a CD (the changer CD takes a disc and moves it somewhere to the bowels of the Yukon). So I pull out the owner's manual, try to find out, but (as typical) only refers to the navigation system manual, which we have only as a downloaded file at home (we bought the Yukon used, and then bought only the owner's manual, almost $50).
Post was last edited on Feb 27, 2012 08:02. This post has been edited 1 times.
axel breaker earl   +1y
Just my opinion here.....but I think Merciless is Cusser's Canadian cousin!
Yes, the rear "B" pillar speakers in a reg. cab truck are the 4" variety and unless you buy some really good speakers in that size (Walmart won't have anything that good I wouldn't think) then your not going to hear much bass. What I would do is buy a Bazooka Tube and add it to your stock system and it should fit right behind the seat in a reg. cab.......you'll be able to hear some bass then, and it won't be one of those "boom, boom, boom" type systems either.....just nice smooth bass like you want. I have one in the truck of my GTO and I like it.

mercilessltd   +1y
I'm not Canadian, eh. More of the redneck variety from the good ol' Bluegrass State.

Well, Earl, I used to have a bazooka tube that I used for low end on my guitar set up. (I have a 7 string LTD, hence the username, but 2-10" Celestions were terrible on low end.) It's been replaced with a couple of Eminence speakers, so perhaps I can pull that out if it's still in good shape.

You guys think the stock stereo can handle four new 4 inch 2-ways and a bazooka tube, if I'm just looking for loud (over road noise), not "thumping?"

What wires would you run the bazooka tube off of to make sure I get both left and right? Maybe split the left and right rear? I guess that would cause the stereo effect of left and right rear to become mono. Suggestions?