threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Audio \  Mounting speakers, doors versus kickpanels?

Mounting speakers, doors versus kickpanels?

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 2719
replies 11
following 8

huskerdually   +1y
Is there much difference in the sound quality between mounting a set of speakers in the door as opposed to building a kickpanel. It just doesn't look to me like there is a whole lot of room in the kick panel area, we have big feet.
hunterw   +1y
well there shouldn't be much difference if you can angle the drivers and point them at the center of the cab. Only advantage kicks usually have is that they are usually in a completely sealed box/chamber. Where a door speaker is in a door. So not as good acoustical environment.
hunterw   +1y
But if you mount them in the door they won't sound bad.
mr. jaun durfle   +1y
Mine are mounted in my doors for now, and they sound pretty good to me. Either way you are going to have at least one set of legs blocking the full sound of one speaker. Unless you are really anal about your sound or entering contests for sound quality, it shouldn't make much of a difference in mounting location of doors vs. kick panels. Visual preference is really what it's about in my opinion. You can build door pods to angle the speakers and still keep your leg room, best of both worlds.
bazinga b2200   +1y
What size speakers will fit in the door? I've been looking at putting speakers in there myself and was hoping to put in a 6-1/2" speaker. Any special thing to know about that? i.e., shallow mount, etc.?
charlesskelter   +1y
It's really going to depend on the depth of the magnet as well as theway you mount the speakers to the doors. If you stage the speaker off the panel you'll have more options than if you just want it flush mounted. You need to decide what you want the door to look like, then make measurements (with the window down) and compare speaker dimensions.
mr. jaun durfle   +1y
I have 6.5" speakers in my doors. It really does depend on the total depth of the speakers after mounted and where you mount them. Take your door panels off and look at the door to decide where the best placement would be and then take some measurements. It's not a hard job, just take your time and think about it.
614littleb   +1y
on my b there are 6x9s on the doors. just get wood thick enough to stop the magnet from touching the door, or cut a hole in the door metal and screw em in. not show quality, but if the wood is carpeted it looks good. sounds just fine too.
huskerdually   +1y
I have been working on a pod, it should be pretty sharp when it's done. It is gonna pretty much make a sealed enclosure when done. I wasn't happy with the way the first one came out, so I bought one of them things to let you cut circles with a router. I will post some pics when done.
binatang   +1y
Another good source for ideas, is Youtube. They have alot of videos on mounting speakers and what sounds good.