Page 1 of 2
S10 Engine \  2.2 wont fire up

2.2 wont fire up

S10 Engine S10 Tech
views 2598
replies 19
following 6

cluster   +1y
well let me start, some of you more experienced peeps might be able to steer me in the right direction, worth a shot atleast since im no good when it comes to engines.

my 2.2 in my 94 with 70k miles just doesnt seem to be timing right, it just turns over, first ting i checked was the fuel pressure which was freaking low! i mean it would barley drip out, so i yank the bed off and figure ok lets replace the pump...did that and pressure is good so me being me assuming this was the fx well was i wrong, yet the pressure is there now so that was faulty to and would of been replaced either way.

next we move to the spark.... compression is fine on all 4 and went ahead replaced the plugs while at it. still no go

....figure whats left its trying to start just doesnt seem to be timing right, also on a side note, with starting fluid it has kicked up once or twice but only for a few seconds.
ok back to the timiming.... figure hrm maybe the ECM? also has a aftermarket ECM on it so we got the same and switched the chip that was inserted. Still nothing.

so thats pretty much were i am now, still not kickign up, i figure maybe have the wiring chased and checked? maybe somethign between the ECM and engine? its not throwing any codes either.

fuel injectors also tested good.

the truck was not build by me and alot of work was done to the dash but after all that it was in runnign condition with the previous owner....who had it sitting for 3 months before i bought it, i was aware f the problem and dont mind much just for the fact of all the things already started on the truck, so in the worst case ill yank everything out and throw a small block in.

thanks for any help
pig rig   +1y
if it tried to start when you put ether to it it sounds like a fuel problem not an ignition problem dump some gas down the carb and see what happens
cluster   +1y
k thanks, ill try that tonight or tomorrow im gettign it ready to get hauled to a shop but whatever i can try to mess with ill give a shot at it
maz89   +1y
have you checked the fuel filter by any chance?
cluster   +1y
yeah did that as well..... i put gas in the carb today and pretty much the same thing, the weird thing is it wants to start up more when i unplug the injectors, the reason i was saying the wiring between the ECM and Engine could be wrong is bcos a mechanic friend that came over to check it out with me (sinc eim engine-st00pid) said it can really only be that cuz everything else is fine... im gonna keep checkign around till monday probably and send it to a shop then if i have to, i hate to send it to a shop though 1) sky-high bill 2) never know what can happen to it standing at a shop
maz89   +1y
just find a good shop lol
cluster   +1y
got one in mind but its gonna be alot and they gonna take 3-4 weeks, but they specialize in custom cars and that type.... so its better to be safe then sorry lol

oh well ill see what happens...nothign major seems to be wrong with it having good fuel pressure,compression and injectors

thanks for th ehelp so far though...other forums didint say jack lol
maz89   +1y
lol, hey no problem man, that's why we're here! there's a good group of cool ass people here and we try to help any way we can!
baha   +1y
woa you guys are awsome really helpful!
pig rig   +1y
better then them smart asses on dually scene

back on to the problem did you ever plug in a de coder? because it will tell you if the ECM is not reading sensers
if you don't have one of the handy dandy plug in things you can use a wire. If I could find the right book I'd tell you witch two to plug in too