Page 1 of 2
Mazda Audio \  dash fiberglassing

dash fiberglassing

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 2823
replies 17
following 8

low87dawg   +1y
hey need some help with glassing my dash does anyone know how i never have and has do tou get all that rough texture gone if i galss the whole thing if i even need to??
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

mullet   +1y
Fill the big holes with cardboard or something and apply the resin and fiberglass.. sand it down and apply more resin and or fiberglass if needed. to finish it sand it down and apply body filler and sand body filler sand kinda like rince and repeating.. until ur satisfied with the outcome.. then take it to be painted.. and they will probably apply another layer of body filler and paint.. cause their name is on the paint job.
low87dawg   +1y
what about all the actual dash part like the top part???
do i put glass on it??
2fine89   +1y
NO you don't need to glass the top or other areas that you wan't to remove the texture from. #1 use a precleaner and/or a wax and grease remover on the entire dash before you start doing anything .. you need to get rid of all traces of armour all or anything else you have used to clean your dash. silicone and other protectants will ruin aqll your work if not removed. Sand the entire dash with sandaper or scotchbrite pad but use a more aggressive grit around the areas you are going to glass - you want the scratches for the glass resin to hold to. For removing the texture on the dash surface it will need a couple of sessions of fill primer and lots of sanding. make sure you do your research and get a primer that is plastic compatible. There is no quick way to do this, the more time you spend priming and sanding the dash the smoother it will be in the end.
delawaredime   +1y
my brother in law just did his dash out of his dakota... hes been messing with it for a month... but it looks good.. LOTS of sanding.
low87dawg   +1y
sand filler primer sand filler primer sand etc...
2fine89   +1y

YUP YUP YUP - the more time you spend doing this the better your results will be.
low87dawg   +1y
should i use bondo glass just on the parts im going to glass
bondo would just crack on the other stuff right???
miked   +1y
whats bondo glass? lol

theres 4 thinks u could use..

spot putty, bondo, bondo with kitty hair an glass.

imo just sand it all down an make fillers for everything u are shaving n then glass over then.

what ever one u do.. your going to be sanding for a long time so be ready.
slammedmini469   +1y

answered your own question