Page 1 of 1
Mazda Audio \  door panels.

door panels.

Mazda Audio Mazda Tech
views 1053
replies 4
following 4

delawaredime   +1y
ok, i know the mada door panels are thin as hell, so if i went to the hardware store and picked up a thin sheet of wood, would it hold up for new door panels? that way i could make some pods and all on the lower part for some speakers...
2fine89   +1y
YUP you can get MAsonite in different thicknesses and all you need to do is trace the old door panels onto the new sheet including the holes for the mounting pins, add what ever else you want to the panel and then cover it all.
sierrax   +1y
Hey man,

Try going to your local Home Depot and getting 1/8" Hardboard. Get 4 sheets of it. They should only cost about $1.80 per sheet. Do just like the last guy posted but make 4 of them (clamp them all together and cut them all at the same time, they will all be exact and save you hours of work), only on 2 of them don't cut/drill the holes for the clips. If you just use a single sheet you will be able to see the round backs of all the clips through your material and even in the right light if you use 1/4" closed cell foam. Glue the 2 drivers door panels together with the one with no clip holes on the outside. And you have a seemless smoothe panel. If you want to add a design, use the same 1/8" hardboard and cut whatever you want, glue it on to the panel and cover it. The material will pop out and your design will look awesome.

As for the buildouts, cut a ring the same size as your speaker. Mount it on 1/2" dowels, pointing it in its desired location (cut the dowels at different lengths to point the speaker where you want it to point). Then get an thick tee shirt (any thick woven material is ok)and stretch it over the ring and staple it to the door panel. Make sure the fabric shapes the way you want the build-out to look. Use fiberglass resin (add the hardner) and cover the shirt and where it attaches to the panel. In about 2 hours its as hard as a rock. You can also use monofoam in between the panel and buildout to stregthen it. If there is any imperfections use short stran fiberglass filler and smoothe them out. And its ready to cover. I highly recomend using tweed to start with. It is very very easy to work with and stretches like crazy.

If you need step by step pics I have them. Email me at and I'll send them to you.
delawaredime   +1y
thanx for the help... im gonna email you..

i figure while im waiting on money for my carb and header, ill get my interior started...
rutter0907   +1y
the best stuff to use is abs plastic which will never loose it's shape, easy to work with and is reasonably priced. i've been doing interior for somewhere around 15 years now.
Page 1 of 1