Page 1 of 1
Mazda Exterior \  Flaring box sides

Flaring box sides

Mazda Exterior Mazda Tech
views 796
replies 2
following 2

anguswilly   +1y
I did this today - it was sooo easy, must have taken me 1/2 hr. per side and came out mint - the only thing is that I could have gone further but I was carefully watching for outward dents to appear from the 2x4 - I got 3/4" on each side which should work perfect for my 18x10 rear wheel ( I cranked it out to 1" and after I welded and removed the jack ended up at 3/4")

If I wanted to go further ( it look like they went 1.5" wider in the article) I would have used a piece of hard foam or rubber under the 2x4 - that and possibly spent time contouring the 2x4 on a belt sander so as not to get the outward dents if I went further, I think you can see in the article photos that they had dents that they had to bang down after they were done - they did go 1.5" wider!

All in all this worked out excellent and I am totally pleased - it looks kinda cool, although more subtle than the one in the article since 1) mine is only 3/4" and 2) the one in the pics is a single cab longbox so it may be easier to see the bulge. With mine, I bet a normal person would not even notice - unless parked next to a stock truck (maybe not even then)

coloradolowlife   +1y
I use a bat rolled along the tire to get a smooth even shape as I go....works pretty good too...maybe use both techniques?
anguswilly   +1y
I have the eastwood fender roller, but I wanted a more OEM look with the wheelwells covering the tires.
Page 1 of 1