threads
Page 1 of 1
Mazda Exterior \  4x2 and 4x4 flare differences?

4x2 and 4x4 flare differences?

Mazda Exterior Mazda Tech
views 1805
replies 6
following 4

jacob_tamblin   +1y
Are the 4x4 bed and fender flares actually wider than the 4x2 flares? Like with the wider wheel & tire combo I have would they stick out farther to say cover some more of the outer edge of the tire? Or possibly let me tuck the wider rims if I was to go a bit lower? Because I'm only off by maybe an inch in the back and less than that up front. Or could I flare the stock 4x2 flares out a bit?
chaserjohndoe   +1y
the 4x4 fenders are 3/8 to 1/2 inch wider per side and if you rolled the fender you can gain about 1/2 to 5/8 inch to tuck wider tires . but if you stretched the fenders you could get more but that is a pain.
fdugn545   +1y

How does one go about stretching fender/bedside?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
chaserjohndoe   +1y
sectioning the fenders(make pie cuts) and put little pieces of metal in each slot to stretch out the fenders (hard to explain). or use a fender roller. it bolts to the hub and has an arm with a wheel.
crazy tarzan   +1y
Rolling the lip is easy with the wheel/arm tool--bolts up and rolls in a perfect circle, just like your tire. You can stretch metal but any modifications to the shape of a panel vs an edge will take lots of massaging and work--and the result is directly proportional to the amount of time and effort you put in (cutting and welding works for abrupt jumps in fender flare, but takes lots of hammering/grinding and smoothing).

Also a good idea to already have the rim and tire combo you want to run so that you can test fit (math may say it's possible, but that doesn't mean something isn't off still).

I did fender flares on a vw Karmann Ghia I owned years ago. Just the rear arch flares took me 25+ hrs of work to fab and get ready for mounting. The front was already a cut-n-weld hack job that I had to fix and smooth out--about 20 hrs there too. And all this in a university run shop for their hot-rodding degree.
jacob_tamblin   +1y
ok then I guess my next question after hearing your responses would be What would you guys recommend for aftermarket bolt on fender flares? even if they required cutting out the stock flares for fitment.
chaserjohndoe   +1y
try universal fender flares from feebay, someone on here is running them on a drift truck and they look really good.

Edit: I found out he is using 240sx fender flares.
Page 1 of 1